GAS PEDAL STICKS ON INITIAL ACCELERATION

1998 Toyota Camry

MasterSgt

December, 4, 2007 AT 9:27 PM

Other Category problem
1998 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 135000 miles

After coming to a stop at a stop sign or red light my gas pedal seems to stick. I have to press it hard and of course then the car jumps and it's a little embarrassing. There is no other problem and it only sticks after coming to a complete stop. Is this an easy fix? What could be causing it?

mhpautos

December, 4, 2007 AT 10:06 PM

Hi there,

This is a very common problem indeed and very easy to fix. With engine turned off undo black induction hose into manifold. Using a good quality Carby cleaner, open throttle butterfly and spray cleaner into manifold, you only want to spray around throttle, top and bottom. Wipe clean with rag, wash the edge of the butterfly as well. Do this a few times to make sure it is clean, butterfly & throttle body. What is happening is the cold start injector (this sprays fuel into the manifold to aid cold starting) sprays fuel into the manifold, some of the fuel, collects around the butterfly and over a period of time, a sticky residue builds up and causes the butterfly to bind up. Normal service practise is to clean this residue away during normal servicing.

Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Cabin Air Filter Replacement
Instrument Cluster Replacement GMC Yukon
Cabin Air Filter Replacement Chevrolet Tahoe