BATTERY DRAINING

1998 Toyota Camry

rodralph

March, 8, 2009 AT 7:07 PM

1998 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 96K miles

My car sometimes hestitates to start up. After it warms up it usually will not hesitate again until the morninng. I took the negative cable off overnight to see if that stopped any potential draining and it seems to have, but recently I put it back on and it worked for several days but is now hesitating from time to time. The garage I took it to said the battery was bad an replaced it. Same problem. I put an ammeter in series with the neg post and the removed cable and it appears that there is a reading. I get an irratic reading--could be my meter. Any ideas?

March, 9, 2009 AT 4:29 AM

If its over 30milliamps you have an excessive draw meaning could be a short circuit draining the battery overnite. You might want to have the alternator load tested if its producing the correct output

rodralph

March, 12, 2009 AT 11:08 AM

Thanks but what is the connection between potential drain and the fact that the alternator may not be putting out enough?

March, 12, 2009 AT 2:04 PM

When you put your ammeter in series and connected properly and you get 30milliamps and above you got an unwanted drain-

Do this, get the battery and alternator load tested and then comeback with the results so I can continue to help.

rodralph

March, 15, 2009 AT 10:05 AM

The battery is new. I had alternator and starter checked with computer and all is normal. Also no drain on battery was confirmed.

rodralph

April, 11, 2009 AT 10:56 AM

It was the starter--even though the load test checked the starter and alternator as good, and the battery was new, I replaced the starter and all is ok.

Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Alternator testing done right