WON'T SHIFT GEARS - LINKAGE PROBLEM

1997 Toyota Camry

keithbrian

June, 3, 2010 AT 4:53 PM

1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

My son backed out of the driveway, and car would then not change gears - stuck in reverse. The shift lever moves back and forth with little resistance but the car stays in reverse. I suppose some sort of linkage is broken between the shifter and the transmission. Can this be easily repaired by an amateur mechanic?

Never posted anything here before but would be greatful for some guidance.

June, 5, 2010 AT 8:32 AM

Hi keithbrian,

Check the linkage at the transmission end to check if it has been dislodged.

keithbrian

June, 10, 2010 AT 8:33 AM

Actually it turns out that the problem was that the base of the shifter, was disconnected from the metal rod that goes down through the floor to the transmission. By putting the round end of the rod back over the stem at the base of the shifter I was able to operate the car. However, there was apparently a small plastic piece that holds the rod onto the shifter base that had broken off. I now need to get that piece. I have someone checking the junkyard today. Any suggestions?

June, 11, 2010 AT 8:55 AM

That should be a plastic bush and it should be held in place by a washer and clip.

If you have difficulty getting the part, try snipping a short plastic hose ( those that they use for aquariums would do) to use as a bushing.

Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage