1997 TOYOTA CAMRY RADIATOR FANS

• goldie211
  • 1997 Toyota Camry

Engine Cooling problem
1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 121325 miles

I have a 1997 Camry LE. I had a crack in the top of the radiator so I replaced the radiator with a new one. My car was running super fine up until I changed out the radiator. I hooked everything thing back like I took it lose. The oil and transmissions lines, lower water hose, temperature sending sensor, and drain plug. I then bolted fans back on and pput the upper water hose back in its place along with the overflow line. I then put in fluid and started the car. Know neither of my cooling fans kick on like they did religiously before. Car is runnig hot due to fans not coming on. I checked all fuses. I replaced thermostat and temp. Sending unit. Still fans does not come on. I plug the fans in but if I unplun temp. Sending unit plug both fans will come on together. When I plug the temp. Sending unit plun back in the fans goes out. What is the problem. Please help me. It's my only means of trans.

Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 3:00 PM

• mastertechtim

I would double check the temp sensor you installed and make sure it was the right one. One could be for the gauge and the other one for the ecm and you could have them mixed up or the parts guy could have messed it up

Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 7:32 PM
  • mastertechtim

One more thing I remember a guy doing that I worked with. The new radiator comes with plugs in it where the rad hoses go and he left one inside the radiator and causes havoc.

Monday, January 26th, 2009 AT 7:34 PM
  • goldie211

I checked the radiator before I installed. It had caps and I removed them prior to intsall. I have even put the old radiator and sensor back on. Car still runs hot. One thing I did noticed was that when I removed the oil cap with car running there was a considerable amount of pressure come out of the oil fill whole. It has never done that before. I am at a lost.

Wednesday, January 28th, 2009 AT 8:48 AM
  • mastertechtim

Dont worry about the pressure in engine. They all do that, it will even spray oil all over the place if left off. If you unplug sensor and fans come on does the engine run cool? Or does it still overheat?

Thursday, January 29th, 2009 AT 5:44 AM
  • goldie211

It will over heat. I just found out that if I turn on the AC the fans will cycle on and off like normal. But when I drove car for about 15 miles the temp still will go up to half way on the temp gauge then come back down to normal. Then go back up to right around half way.

Monday, February 2nd, 2009 AT 12:39 PM
  • mastertechtim

Halfway is ok. Im real confused about why the coolnt temp sensor still wont work

Tuesday, February 3rd, 2009 AT 7:30 AM