ENGINE BLOW OUT

1997 Toyota Camry

mbamarc

August, 9, 2008 AT 5:47 PM

1997 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 175000 miles

I have had my 1997 Camry regulary serviced at a local service chain. Two weeks ago they told me that I nneded to have the belts changed and that overall the car was running great and should last me another 50,000 miles. Fast forward 1.5 weeks, the car was hesitating and when I hit the gas - it made a popping sound and started spewing smoke. I had the car towed back to them at my expense and they told me they would do an engine diagnostic. Their normally cheery demeanors changed when they told me oil was leaking into the engine block and the engine would have to be replaced.

Is it possible that they may have caused/accelerated the damage when they replaced the belts? Or am I being paranoid?

Just need a sanity check.
Thanks.

August, 9, 2008 AT 8:11 PM

Fast forward 1.5 weeks, the car was hesitating and when I hit the gas - it made a popping sound and started spewing smoke. What color is the smoke?

Their normally cheery demeanors changed when they told me oil was leaking into the engine block. What oil is leaking into the engine.

Be more specific maybe we can help you from not replacing the engine

mbamarc

August, 9, 2008 AT 8:18 PM

Razmataz,

I appreciate any assistance or thoughts before I just replace engine or donate car to charity.

The smoke appeared a light color maybe grey/blue. Hard to tell.

They only told me that oil was leaking into the engine block which was coming apart, and as it filled up was causing the smoke.

I am not very auto mechanics saavy so if there are specific questions I should be asking them, please let me know. I can also run over to their lot tomorrow (where the car is sitting) and try to better ascertain the smoke color.

As an FYI - The check engine light has never come on in the 11+ years I have owned the car.

August, 9, 2008 AT 8:53 PM

They only told me that oil was leaking into the engine block which was coming apart-I don't understand this or probably they meant engine oil is getting into the cylinders and find out about the color of the smoke-Something is fishy and I don't eat fish don't like the smell of this-

mbamarc

August, 9, 2008 AT 8:59 PM

Rasmataz,

I am with you here. They are closed tomorrow, however I will get further clarification on Monday when they give me the " quote" on the new engine. I will also try to get better read on the smoke color.

They did tell me that nothing was leaking externally.

Anything else I need to ask or find out to help you offer opinion?

Thanks.

August, 9, 2008 AT 9:29 PM

Tell them to check engine compression before you decide for the new engine and comeback with it-This will tell me if you actually need a new engine-

Engine Oil Change and Filter Chrysler 300
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Nitro
Engine Oil Change and Filter Kia Forte
Engine Oil Change and Filter Chevrolet Tahoe
Oil Change and Filter Replacement Toyota
Engine Oil Change and Filter Mercedes Benz
Oil Change & Filter Chevrolet Equinox
Engine Oil Change and Filter Ford Edge