; REMOVING DRUMS

1995 Toyota Camry

nespej2001

October, 15, 2006 AT 6:58 PM

Trying to remove the rear drums to inspect brake shoes. Tapped with hammer, tried some light prying.
No luck. What do I need to know?

francis 180

October, 15, 2006 AT 10:52 PM

G'day nes make sure the handbrake is not on. Spray some wd 40 on the axle to drum interface in the centre of the drum and get a bigger hammer. Good luck with it mate : D

October, 16, 2006 AT 1:25 AM

There's a hole behind the backing plate-remove the rubber you can see the starwheel reach in there with a small skinny s/driver and contract the shoes-then bang on it again it should come off.

pgjon

October, 17, 2006 AT 4:54 PM

Look on the face of the drums, there should be 2 sm. Threaded holes a few inches out of the center. Thread a cap head bolt, mine were 10 mm or so, (try several different bolts to get the correct threads). They do not have to be very long, 2-2.5 in about right. After u make sure all ur brakes are off (see other posts) take turns screwing in each bolt, and they will push ur drum off as easy as u please. No banging!
I have keep a coupe of these in my tool box for several decades. Worked on all Honda, Nissan, Toyotas w/ drum brakes i've owned. Javascript: emoticon(': )')
Pgjon

nespej2001

October, 30, 2006 AT 6:48 PM

Took the advice of pgjon and bought to 8mm bolts. Threaded them in and the drum popped right off. Thanks alot.
Nespej2001

Brake Shoe/Drum Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Brake Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford