DIFFERENTIAL SHAFT

1988 Toyota Camry

richardandangel

October, 30, 2010 AT 11:09 AM

1988 Toyota Camry 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

How do you remove the differential shaft from the transmission? My cv shaft broke off and there are about 6 bolts that hold it in. Five of the bolts broke off flush to the differential shaft. Or how to remove bolts in the differential shaft.

October, 30, 2010 AT 2:10 PM

Hi richardandangel,

The center drive shaft is locked into position by a " C" clip and to remove the shaft you need a slide hammer to pull it out.

The studs on the center drive shaft flange are pressed in and to remove you need to press or knock them out. It is not recommended to be done while plugged into the transaxle as the banging can damage the bearings inside the transaxle.

robertstarke

October, 14, 2012 AT 12:39 AM

Hello, I am trying to remove the center axle on My 88 camry. I took out the clip and the retaining bolt from the out board bearing that is mounted to the engine. My manual says to wack the flange on the
out board end of the axle with a punch and hammer to free the bearing and pull the axle shaft from the transmission but I can't get enough force on it with a hammer to get it out. Any suggestions?

Differential Fluid Change Ford F250
Differential Fluid Service - Front
Axle Bearing, Seal, E-Brake Shoes, Brake Pads
Differential Fluid Service Chevrolet 2500HD