1995 Toyota Avalon OBD 2 socket location

JM8540
  • 1995 TOYOTA AVALON
Hello CarPros -

Where is the OBD 2 socket in my 1995 Toyota Avalon XL 4-door sedan? My mechanic said iit should be just behind the brake pedal, but I don't see it.

Thanks for your help,
John
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 9:50 AM

STEVEW84
Actually it is more by the hood latch and it is not a normall OBD 2 connector. Actually it might have an ob2 connector and it might have an obd1 connector.
Thursday, July 23rd, 2009 AT 9:30 PM
JM8540
Hello stevew84 -

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure that this car is fully OBD II compliant, based on internet searches which show a list of compliant models.

What do you mean when you say ". Not a normal OBD 2 connector."? I'll look for the plug in that area and see what I find.

Thanks again.
Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 8:56 AM
STEVEW84
I'm sure you have an obd2 connector, but because its a 95 I'm also sure it has an obd1 connector.
ob1

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170495_toyota_1_1.jpg

obd2

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170495_toyota_2_1.gif

+2
Friday, July 24th, 2009 AT 10:57 AM
JM8540
Hello again, stevvew84 -

Yes, lower left by the hood latch, just as you said. Okay, now what do I do? Shouldn't I get an OBD II code reader? The 'check engine' light iis sporadic, it comes on for a day or two, then is off for a week. Engine temperature and fluid levels are fine, I just want to know what iis causing the CE light.

Thanks again for your help and accurate info,
John
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 11:39 AM
STEVEW84
If there is an obd 2 connector then I would hook into that first. If the check engine light is on and off then there should still be a code. If you can't get communication from the obd2 connector then you have to get a scanner that has obd1 connectors. That would be a lot more expensive than a $35 code reader. HTH.
Sunday, July 26th, 2009 AT 12:34 PM
JM8540
Stevew84 - thanks for your help and your time - this is my first time using 2CarPros, what do I do now? Do I close this thread? Please advise, and thanks.

Regards,
John
Monday, July 27th, 2009 AT 11:03 AM
STEVEW84
Actually, I don't know. I think your fine doing nothing.
Monday, July 27th, 2009 AT 12:16 PM