1995 Toyota Avalon Exhaust System

AHIKODI
  • 1995 TOYOTA AVALON

My 1995 Toyota Avalon, according to my mechanic needs a front pipe and a rear oxygen sensor. There is some part of the front pipe that has come apart due to rusting and my mechanic says the entire pipe (system) has to be replaced. The cost estimate is at 1600.00 including labor. He says that for vehicles that are 96 and newer, you cannot use an After market part because that will cause the check engine light to come back on. But since I have a 95 model, it can probably be tried out as a cheaper option in my case. The oxygen sensor he say would cost about 200 bucks including labor ($80/hr). What are my options here? Does the whole pipe have to be replaced? Is the price quote valid? Any help would be appreciated.
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 10:31 AM

JAMES W.
The very best advise I can give you at this point is; find a different mechanic. A 1995 Toyota Avalon with 117K miles is barely worth $1600. You definatly need to get a second opinion.
Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 10:45 AM
ROTHMILA
I just replaced the 'front pipe with cat' on my 2000 avalon - the pipe with gaskets cost $289 usd, shipping cost $30.

Just find someone with a hoist and they should be able to install it relatively easily.
Friday, October 2nd, 2009 AT 9:21 AM