4 WHEEL DRIVE PROBLEMS ON 97 4 RUNNER

1997 Toyota 4Runner

thumperzz81

October, 5, 2007 AT 12:37 PM

I have a 97, 4 runner. It is a 4 cylinder with 160,000 miles. A few months ago the 4x4 was working great. I went to use the 4x4 recently and it did not engage. My 4runner has a manual shift system. I engaged the manual shift and could feel the car adjust. However, the light in the dash did not come on as normal. Also, the front wheels did not engage. I only left the car in 4x4 for a moment, but it was obvious that there seemed to be a conflict between the front and rear. I had a friend tell me it might be the vacuum and/or the actuator? What do you think? Is this something that can be repaired at home?

4 Wheel Drive

1 ANSWER

Buzzsaw

October, 5, 2007 AT 1:10 PM

Yes it can the vaccume switch is on the pass side under the hood around the fuse box, to find out witch one (I think if I remember right think there are 2 or 3 switchover valves) follow the vaccume line down to the frt axel, or the line may be broken somewhere, bypass the switch and see if it enguages, if it doesnt the axel unit is bad

thumperzz81

October, 5, 2007 AT 1:21 PM

What do you mean by bypass the switch?

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
CV Axle Replacement
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Axle Seal Replacement