ROUGH IDLE WHEN LETTING GO OF GAS

2001 Toyota 4Runner

chef2511

March, 9, 2008 AT 4:11 PM

2001 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 77500 miles

The best way I can explain my question is when I'm traveling at speeds of about 30 mph or more and let go of the gas, the car feels like it's got a rough idle to it. I don't feel the rough idle while stepping on the gas, only when I let go of the gas peddle - as the car begins to slow down, it's idling rough. I'm wondering what could be causing this. I've had regular oil changes and tune ups. Thanks for any information, I really appreciate it!

March, 9, 2008 AT 4:17 PM

Have the idle air control valve/throttle position sensor and EGR valve checked-also the fuel pressure with and w/o the fuel pressure regulator. Meaning vacuum and No vacuum-

chef2511

March, 9, 2008 AT 5:09 PM

Thank you so much rasmataz! I'm wondering if this is considered a " major problem" that requires immediate attention or can I wait several days to a week? What are the consequences of waiting to have it repaired - if any? Would you know approx how much this would cost to repair? If it turns out to be a valve issue, is it just replacement of the affected valve?

March, 10, 2008 AT 5:21 AM

The valves issue could just mean-opening it up and cleaning it out. I really dunno how much it would cost for the repair, as for labor/parts it varies with location.

Waiting for repairs-its gonna eat fuel like nobody's business. Just get it checked out-

chef2511

March, 12, 2008 AT 3:10 PM

IT turned out to be the u-joints for both front & rear drive shaft - needs replacement -does this sound right for 2001 40runner with 78K miles? Thx!

March, 12, 2008 AT 4:55 PM

Its an engine performance problem -the driveline/ U Joints has nothing to do with a rough idle-

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Cylinder Head Valve Job Guide
Fuel Injector Replacement Ford 5.4L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Toyota Tacoma