LOUD VIBRATION HUM NOISE A

2001 Toyota 4Runner

chef2511

July, 5, 2008 AT 3:20 PM

Noises problem
2001 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 81,000 miles

my 4runner makes a loud 'vibration' hum type of noise - but only once it reaches 60 mph and above. Would appreciate any clues as to what it may be. I did have ujoints replaced 3 months ago - not sure if that's connected? No other engine probs, accelerates fine. Could it need balancing perhaps? Thank you.

July, 8, 2008 AT 2:33 PM

Hi chef2511,

I would suggest giving the U joints another check. How many did you replace?

chef2511

July, 10, 2008 AT 8:42 AM

Hi KHLow2008,

Thanks for your reply. I replaced 4. When you say have the u joints checked, do you mean checked for proper installation? Could that be causing the noise?

July, 10, 2008 AT 10:30 AM

Hi chef2511,

Yes, check if the installations were properly done and if they require any greases.

Check for loose flange nuts too.

chef2511

July, 10, 2008 AT 6:13 PM

I took the car in and mechanic says drive shaft needs balancing - does this sound like something that was caused as a result of the u joints being replaced?

Also, is this critical or can it go if I don't mind the vibration.

Dealer mechanic quoted $175 for parts but said they'd need to keep the car for a few days as it needs to be sent out to a specialty shop.

Thank you!

July, 11, 2008 AT 7:37 AM

Hi chef2511,

If the shaft they are refering to were the ones that the U-joints were replaced, then it could be a poor job done.

I would advise against continuing using them, the unbalanced shafts would cause other areas to go bad, especially the flange bearings/bushes and oil seals, not to mention the mountings.

plschrader

July, 15, 2008 AT 7:26 AM

My 2001 4Runner is doing the exact same thing. Did you resolve the problem. I have never replaced ujoints. What are the symptoms?

July, 15, 2008 AT 9:03 AM

Hi plschrader,

Symptoms of bad U joints.

When accelerating the vehicle seems to vibrate at a certain speed and the vibration reduces as soon as you let go of the pedal. It will resume again when you accelerate again.

Acceleration is not full throttle type, just moderate increase in speed.

plschrader

July, 15, 2008 AT 9:15 AM

Would I notice this vibration at all speeds or just high speed?

July, 15, 2008 AT 10:56 AM

Hi plschrader,

Vibration should start at about 30 mph or higher and at different speed it might vary in rate.

chef2511

July, 16, 2008 AT 11:33 AM

Thanks so much for the input & suggestions.
After having it checked - dealer mechanic says that my drive shaft needs balancing. Interesting is that the same dealer serv center replaced both my front and rear drive shaft u joints 3 months ago and now this problem but they insist it's not related. However, they offered balance the drive shaft without charging for labor - parts only - at $175. I don't know how to verify if this is really the case or if they did a poor u-joint job and that somehow caused the drive shaft to go off balance.
I wonder how much $ I'll be saving on the labor alone vs going to a different shop where they will charge for labor. Would appreciate feedback on the approximate labor costs to remove the drive shaft and balance it - approx how long would something like that take? An hour, or more like 4 or 5? Thanks much!

Engine Oil Change and Filter Honda Element
Serpentine Belt Replacement Chevrolet
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Replace Rear Brake Pad-Rotor Subaru Legacy