1999 Toyota 4Runner vibration

TEAMBROCOLI
  • 1999 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

Noises problem
1999 Toyota 4Runner 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 180000 miles

When I get to about 50 mph or higher, there is a loud vibration in my entire vehicle. It gets louder when applying gas. The tires are aligned and have been balanced and rotated.
I had someone check it out, and they said that the brakes and suspension are ok. It drives normally under 50 mph.

Friday, June 13th, 2008 AT 11:22 PM

KHLOW2008

Hi teambrocoli,

If the whole vehicle is vibrating, then you should have a look at the shafts all round. Some couplings might be faulty.

Saturday, June 14th, 2008 AT 11:31 AM
BEAU123

I too have a 1999 4runner (2wd though) and I'm having/had the exact same problem.

About a year and a half ago, my 4runner (@ appx 125k) suddenly started vibrating at the same speeds (50mph +). It seemed to pop up overnight and definitely had me worried. I worked down the street from a dealership, so I figured I'd play it safe and take it to them. That's where the circus began.

(1) they said I needed new tires, even though, to me, they looked as though they had another 10k left. I was also reluctant since the vibration came up so quickly, but they eventually talked me into it. Got the car back and no change.

(2) took it back in and they discovered the drive shaft was out of balance. They couldn't rebalance there so they took it over to another shop for the work.

(by the way, since I had invested in a set of new tires and their diagnosis was wrong, they covered this expense. One good thing about a dealer, when they're wrong they admit it.)

anyhow, got my car back and took it on the freeway. The vibration was better, but STILL there.

(3) back to toyota. Took, yet, another look and found that the shop that had performed the rebalancing had only rebalanced the front of the drive shaft AND NOT THE BACK! Luckily this time they gave me a rental since I didn't see my car for a over a week. They called me later and said they rebalanced the back, but the vibration was still there. They said I needed a new drive shaft because a seal around it had been worn through, causing metal to metal contact and it wouldn't properly balance. I was immediately suspicious that it had worn because of all the "out of balance driving" I had done between repairs. Nevertheless, this was an expense they won't cover. I gave them the OK just out of pure interest to get the problem fixed.

A day later, they called back. New drive shaft in and vibration still there. They dug even deeper. Now they told me that a bearing in the differential had gone bad and they would have to order specific tools to get it out. A week later they said the vibration was finally gone. I sat down in the car again and the vibration was greatly improved, but barely still there. Since I've been driving the car for so long and know how it drove before the vibration came about, I can feel it; even though it's subtle.

I moved around the time it was last at the dealership, so I haven't been able to take the car BACK in. Also, since it's so subtle and since I've already put a lot of money into the car to get it this far, I've just been dealing with the issue.

The only thing I can think of that may have caused the problem was when I drove 75 miles of icy roads with snow chains (no 4wd) several years ago. If you haven't driven on snow chains before, it's rough. Definitely rattles the car to death. The vibration may have thrown the drive shaft out of balance and consequently wore out the bearing in the differential. But who knows.

Anyhow, I hope this is somewhat helpful for you. I would definitely be interested in hearing what you discover. Especially since mine isn't completely fixed.

Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 5:32 PM
TEAMBROCOLI

My friend seems to think that by drive shaft is out of balance too, and I have done a lot of snow/ off road driving, although I have only used chains briefly.
I will let you know what happens, your comments are helpful.

Thanks,

Brad

Sunday, June 22nd, 2008 AT 6:24 PM
KHLOW2008

Hi Brad and beau123,

If the vibration happens while in 2 wheel mode, it should be from the rear propeller shaft. Most probably the universal couplings are stiff or worn causing the shaft to be out of balance while driving. Sometimes greasing the joints helps.

The shaft consists of two parts and if the joining splines are worn, no amout of balancing would help.

The other area to check for is the trans and differential flange and bearing. They should both be firm and without side clearance.

Apart from that, if the propeller shaft had been damaged by knocks, it would also be out of balance.

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Monday, June 23rd, 2008 AT 8:30 AM
ACE99

Had this very problem. Strong to moderate vibration at freeway speeds. Checked all the usual suspects U-joints, shafts etc. Nothing). Replaced tires which helped somewhat.

Problem turned out to be corrosion built-up on rim mating surface. Not enough to be obvious but was enough to cause trouble. After removing rust pasted onto the aluminum rims (scraping and sanding lightly), and cleaning rotor mating surface. The vibration was gone!

Wednesday, September 2nd, 2009 AT 10:25 PM
PAWEL
  • 1999 TOYOTA 4RUNNER
  • MERGED

Hallo, I just got 1999 Toyota 4Runner V6 Limited with 170,000 km. I experience some shaking vibrations at around 80 km/hr, usually when driving uphill. Looks like a power loss, and as soon as I hit the gas and go over 85 km/hr the shaking vibration is gone. Looks like a major power loss and a problem with downshifting at this particular situations. Everything else is perfect with the car. I asked my mechanic for a ride with me to show him this unusual behavior and he seems to be puzzled - everything seems to be ok with the engine and transmission and there is no "check engine" light; the timing belt was supposedly changed at 161,000. Could this be false information and the need for a new timing belt? Please help!

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 12:19 PM
LOSONE
  • MERGED

99% of vibrations in a 4 runner are caused by drive line problems from the tires up. Most commonm cause are tires/ rims. Take it to a good tire shop and have them check it out.

The 98/99 V-6 engines are a weak engine to start with. There is also a recall on the head gaskets. The Toyota recall number is VO-5.

Good Luck

losone

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 12:19 PM
LOSTINMARS
  • MERGED

If the timing belt was recently checked, have the crank bolt checked ASAP, and I mean it. Most people don't know that these bolts need to be tighten to around 280lbs and thats very hard to do w/o the right tool. If even the tiniest bit loose the vehicle will have drivability problems. This is very very common.

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 12:19 PM
LOSONE
  • MERGED

Good answer from lostinmars. Those bolts are very important and few mechanics torque them because it is difficult to do. Most run them up with an air impact. Especially have them checked when the transmission is down for repair. But as lostinmars states have it done soon.

This doesn't help the V6 weak engine. I had one in 92 and a VW bug could pass me on a hill!

Good luck losone

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 12:19 PM
LOSTINMARS
  • MERGED

Not to nit pick, but why would a front crankshaft pulley bolt be checked during a transmission removal?

Also running it in with an impact would be a great way to tighten these cause it would give it enough torque, but the problem with this vehicle is an impact gun will not fit w/o removing the rad.

Thursday, January 5th, 2017 AT 12:19 PM