Torque converter locking up intermittently

TKHAN87
  • 2013 NISSAN ALTIMA
Last week, I noticed my car shuddering when moving at low speed and when I was at a traffic light, the engine shut off. I was able to restart the car and drive while it continued to shudder at low speed (20-30 mph).
Later when I started the car, the engine shut off as soon as I shifted the gear to R or D.
The tow truck driver inspected the car and floored the gas pedal before shifting the gear and this time the engine didn't shut off but shuddering was persistent. I managed to drive the car to Nissan service center and described the whole problem. After three days, the adviser called me and said that the torque converter is locking up intermittently and they have reported this issue to Nissan so they can cover the transmission replacement cost. However, Nissan requested more diagnostics and the technicians are not able to reproduce the same issue anymore. I was asked to pick up the car and get back to them if issue is seen again.

I am scared to drive the car based on previous experience. Is there any way I can reproduce this issue without risking an accident?

While driving the car now, I notice transmission slipping, vehicle would glide forward after turning off the engine and placing it in park and pick up is very slow when moving from idle. There is a whining noise under the hood when engine is running in Idle.

Notes from service center:
"Duplicated customer concern, checked for any codes, no codes stored. Checked for ant TSB's, none stored. Using data monitor found that the torque converter is locking up intermittently. Called in power-train call center, they requested a video on the incident, was unable to recreate the incident again. Recommend customer to return when becomes more frequent".

Please advice.

Thanks.
Thursday, January 10th, 2019 AT 5:36 PM

ASEMASTER6371
Good evening,

I understand your concern.

I suggest you call the service manager and ask him to drive it for a couple of days. It will happen again and when it does it should be with him and not you.

That issue will not fix itself and a matter of time before it happens again.

Thursday, January 10th, 2019 AT 6:48 PM