It is a little involved.
No, the tension-er cannot be accessed without removing the cover.
1. NOTICE: Do not loosen or remove the crankshaft pulley bolt without first installing the special tools as instructed in the crankshaft pulley procedure. The crankshaft pulley and the crankshaft timing sprocket are not keyed to the crankshaft. The crankshaft, the crankshaft sprocket and the pulley are fitted together by friction, using diamond washers between the flange faces on each part. For that reason, the crankshaft sprocket is also unfastened if the pulley bolt is loosened. Before any repair requiring loosening or removal of the crankshaft pulley bolt, the crankshaft and camshafts must be locked in place by the special tools, otherwise severe engine damage can occur.
Remove the crankshaft pulley. For additional information, refer to Crankshaft Pulley See: Harmonic Balancer - Crankshaft Pulley > Removal and Replacement > Crankshaft Pulley.
2. Disconnect the Crankshaft Position (CKP) sensor electrical connector and the wiring harness pin-type retainers.
3. NOTE: A new CKP sensor must be installed whenever the old sensor is removed.
Remove and discard the CKP sensor.
4. Remove the bolt and the accessory drive belt tensioner.
5. Remove the 3 bolts and the coolant pump pulley.
6. Disconnect the Power Steering Pressure (PSP) switch electrical connector.
7. Remove the 3 bolts and position the power steering pump aside.
8. NOTE: This step is needed only if a new front cover is being installed.
Using a 3 jaw puller, remove the fan drive pulley.
9. NOTE: There is one bolt behind the cooling fan drive pulley. This bolt can be accessed by lining up one of the holes in the pulley with the bolt.
Remove the 21 bolts and the engine front cover.
10. NOTICE: Do not use metal scrapers, wire brushes, power abrasive discs or other abrasive means to clean the sealing surfaces. These tools cause scratches and gouges, which make leak paths. Use a plastic scraping tool to remove all traces of old sealant.
Clean the sealing surface with silicone gasket remover and metal surface prep. Observe all warnings and cautions and follow all application directions contained on the packaging of the silicone gasket remover and metal surface prep.
Image (Click to make bigger)
Sunday, May 27th, 2018 AT 6:35 AM