Possible thermostat installation and replacement issue?

ANDREAS0990
  • 2004 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
I replaced the thermostat on my car but I noticed in your diagrams that you show, the thermostat sits back further into the housing than my thermostat because in my housing there is a plastic piece. I'll call it an adapter that sits in the housing also and it only goes so far in the housing causing the thermostat to stick out making it hard when putting it back to together or did I do something wrong because I had to loosen the water pump to get it back together? Thank you. Andreas
Tuesday, September 15th, 2020 AT 1:16 PM

DANNY L
Hello, I'm Danny.

Here is a tutorial showing thermostat replacement:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/replace-thermostat

I've attached picture repair guides for your car below.Hope this helps and thanks for using 2CarPros.
Tuesday, September 15th, 2020 AT 5:49 PM
GALENA WILLIAMS GALLARDO
  • 2004 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
I need a diagram of the location of the thermostat.
Saturday, September 19th, 2020 AT 1:43 PM (Merged)
This is way more involved than on almost any other domestic engine. You might want to read through the pages of instructions first. I recommend a paper copy of the manufacturer's service manual, but for a job like this, a Haynes or Chiltons manual might be okay too. With an automatic transmission, the first step is to remove the exhaust manifold!
RICK POWELL
  • 2004 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
This is more of a comment than a question regarding thermostat replacement. I found it much easier to just purchase a thermostat wrench, it has specific bends and curves in it so that you do not have to remove the exhaust manifold. I am here to tell you it is worth the money, just in the hassle and headaches alone it saves you. Word from the wise to the wise, buy the thermostat wrench!
ASEMASTER6371
Thanks for the tip. This is good for the do it yourself guys.

We as techs stopped removing the crossover pipe years ago and either made our own wrench or took the extra time to use a standard wrench for the removal.

SANZAL
  • 2003 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
Engine Cooling problem 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 56000 miles

How can I locate and change the thermostat in a 2003 Oldsmobile Alero 2.2litre engine. I want to try and change it myself. I love this site.
Monday, September 21st, 2020 AT 10:16 AM (Merged)
KEN

The thermostat is located at the end of the upper radiator hose. Here is a guide that will give you an idea of what you are in for when replacing the thermostat.

Drain the cooling system. Remove the thermostat housing to water pump. Remove the thermostat housing to water pump feed pipe. Finally, remove the t-stat. Reverse the process to replace.

https://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/249084_tstat_1.jpg

Let me know if this help, or if you have other questions. Also, make sure you use the same type of coolant as is in the system. If it's Dexcool CHANGE IT!

Here is what it will be like in your engine I have feature both 4 and 6 cylinders. (Below)

Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.

Cheers, Ken
+1
DUBOIS420
  • 2003 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
  • 200 MILES
I am trying to change the thermostat in my 2003 Oldsmobile Alero. Auto transmission. I need to know the best way to get this job done. Location of the thermostat, removal, installation. Thanks
You really have to pull the exaust pipe to get this off as it'snot easy to get to unless you wantto finagle a way around it. I'm enclosing a pic of whereit's located. You'll have to drain your cooling system as well.
-1
SONDRA FOX
  • 2003 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
Where is thermostat located?
Monday, September 21st, 2020 AT 10:17 AM (Merged)
DOCFIXIT
Located on rear of engine. The exhaust crossover pipe needs to be removed. Also, air cleaner. See picture.
+1
901DEE
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
Engine Cooling problem
2000 Oldsmobile Alero 6 cyl Wheel Drive Type unknown Automatic 100251 miles

I have a 00 Olds Alero V6, My car takes a while to heat up in the mornings, when it finally warms just sitting idle on warmer days the hands goes beyond the normal, and driving it starts to go towards the Hot indicator. I only had this car about a year, I've had the water pump replaced, but I don't think my thermostat was changed out. No leaks, air is cold, heat is hot, coolant level is fine.
RHALL77
It wouldnt hurt to change the thermostat, also check and see if your cooling fan is kicking on and cooling the radiator.
+1
KALMERED
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
Where is the thermostat located on the car?
2CEXPT
Follow the upper radiator hose towards the engine where the hose clamps to the housing its behind it
+2
SNEAKFOX
  • 2000 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
I had a mysterious coolant leak last year and it was tough to find. I thought it was the water pump. Turns out the threads on the surge tank fill spout were stripped and coolant was running out the overflow hose.
I've replaced that but since it has full pressure again the thermostat gasket is done. I know where it is but need the best laid plan as how to GET to it. One bolt is nearly inaccessible.
Remove exaust heate shield, remove coolant pipe housing bolts through manifold, remove collantpipe stud fromoilan remove tire and splash shield remove bolts form transaxle brace assy and brace remove coolant hsg pipe then remove tstat revers for reassy
SNEAKFOX
Response appreciated but it is hard to decipher what you wrote between your spelling and grammar. I am not a mechanic so the fewer acronyms the better! Thanks!
Remove exaust heat shield, remove coolant pipe housing bolts through manifold, remove coolant pipe stud from oil pan remove tire and splash shield remove bolts from transaxle brace assembly and brace. Remove coolant housing pipe then remove thermostat. Reverse procedure for installation
SNEAKFOX
Thank you very much. You probably saved me an hour of unnecessary work!

Sponsored links