BATTERY WON'T RECHARGE FROM ALTERNA

1995 Suzuki

Sidekick_and_kick

April, 29, 2008 AT 10:45 PM

1995 Other Suzuki Models 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 157000 miles

Something is either draining the brand new battery faster than the brand new alternator can keep up with, or something is keeping the brand new alternator from recharging the brand new battery.
I tend to think it's the latter.

I have already replaced the following:
Battery
Alternator
Fusable Link
Wiring Harness between the positive battery terminal, alternator, fusable link, and starter solenoid.

After all of this and having all the new items retested and found to be proper, the freshly recharged battery will only run the vehicle for about an hour or so before the battery is dead again.

I'm stumped and my son has been "borrowing" my gas saving Nissan Sentra for three weeks while I've done all this work between jobs and thunderstorms in the back yard.

Thank you,
Joel

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/184768_Joe_2_1.jpg

mhpautos

April, 29, 2008 AT 10:52 PM

Hi there.

Do a current draw test. Fit an amp meter between Bat pos (+) & battery cable, turn on ignition (don't try and start) and see what the current draw is, key out 7 doors closed, if above.15 Amps and around.5 + you have a open circuit somewhere, to help locate start to pull fuses and when current drops you have isolated the problem circuit. Try this first.

Sidekick_and_kick

April, 29, 2008 AT 11:09 PM

I will use your suggestion as soon as the sun comes up!

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Alternator testing done right