REMOUNTING TRANSMISSION

2003 Suzuki Aerio

dankat1966

August, 17, 2010 AT 11:15 PM

2003 Suzuki Aerio 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 180000 miles

Having changed the clutch (complete clutch including pilot and thrust bearing), I am trying without success to remount the transmission to the engine. This is what I have don so far.
1) After getting the transmission in place (there is on stud that the transmission is guided into place with) I tried to manually press the transmission and engine together, but it would not budge. So I went to 2) with all the bolts that connect transmission to engine lined up correctly I tightened them up gradually one at a time so as to keep the gap at bottom and top, back and front constant. This still did not close up the gap, as it gets to the point where they will not tighten any more. Because I thought that we may not have lined the shaft up correctly, I took the transmission off to check. It seems to be lining up. But will not close. Step 3) Email someone who may recognize what I am doing wrong, or of there is a technique or trick I could use to somehow get the transmission back on. Note: I am using an engine hoist that is secured to the engine and the car is on stands in the flat garage.

Clutch Problems

Clutch

1 IMAGE

Docfixit

August, 18, 2010 AT 11:23 AM

Hi Did kit come with a pilot input shaft to line up disc?

dankat1966

August, 18, 2010 AT 12:35 PM

Yes came with shaft allignment tool. Checked and double checked allignment. The shaft seems to be alligned but to clarify my previous post, I am about 1/2 - 1/3 inch away from closing the gap between trans and engine.

Docfixit

August, 18, 2010 AT 1:21 PM

Has to be alignment with pilot bushing even with tool it can be off. Feel around clutch cover area between bolts is dics even all the way around? If not loosen cover use tool to wiggle disc into position so tahe when cover tight toolslides out easy. If using a jack on trans once you engage input shaft to disc backoff jacj and manhandle trans on to engine. Kinda of wiggle push bounce.

Clutch/Flywheel/Rear Main Seal Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions