SURGES

1989 Oldsmobile 88

cutlass4bbl

April, 23, 2013 AT 7:11 AM

My car surges at start up Idling. And while warm. When I go e it some has it stop but sometimes does it while I keep steady pedal pressure on the freeway. Would this be an egr problem? It just had a tuneup.

93 F150 Hesitates/surges

Engine Surging

cutlass4bbl

April, 23, 2013 AT 7:16 AM

Meant to say when I give it some gas it stops.

Wrenchtech

April, 23, 2013 AT 7:32 AM

First eliminate all vacuum or air leaks in the system. You may have a bad IAC ( idle air control) but try cleaning the throttle body first. Remove the intake snorkel, have someone hold the throttle wide open for you and scrub the back side of the throttle plate and surrounding bore with an old tooth brush and some carb cleaner. Be sure to spray some into the small holes next to the throttle plate. That should help stabilize the idle. If it still has a problem, replace the IAC.

cutlass4bbl

April, 23, 2013 AT 10:13 AM

Just cleaned the throttle body but notice at the egr it's leaking. Sprayed some water on it and sure enough it was bubbling by one corner of the gasket. The car has sat for a long time. Before I bought it and the egr body is pretty rusted. I can hear it hissing while the engine is idling and it runs tough but when I spray around the egr with carb cleaner it smooths out. And lol yes I know it's not smart to spray carb cleaner around hot parts. Could I just take the egr off, replace the gasket and clean the egr valve and fix the problem or should I get a new egr?

Wrenchtech

April, 23, 2013 AT 11:31 AM

There is no problem with using carb cleaner to find vacuum leaks. We do it all the time. I can't tell you what it's going to take to fix your particular vacuum leak. It depends if it's leaking through the gasket or the valve itself.