2004 Subaru WRX Whinning sound

• 1 POST
  • 2004 SUBARU WRX

Steering problem
2004 Subaru WRX 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 74000 miles

2004 Subaru WRX
I went to the shop for a squealing noice with my belts.
I had my power belts and timing belt changed and did the 60,000 mile service.

When I got my car back the power steering pump was whinning. They told me that the sound would go away once the air left the line. I got home and the power steering fluid was overfilled by 2.5 inches and the whinning never stopped. I took it back and they bleed the line. The whinning was better. I was not happy so they took it back again then called me and said that the power steering pump and steering rack needed replaced. I am concerned that they caused the problems. I did not have prior to going into the shop.
What do you think?

Wednesday, April 8th, 2009 AT 3:06 PM

• 11 POSTS

Overfilling a PS reservoir will not cause any immediate damage, it will just over flow and get on some of your engine, and probably your parking spot if left on painted surfaces or rubber in time it can cause minor damage. If overfilled you will notice its a bit harder to turn the car. As for the Rack needing replacing They may be trying to get you for some money but if you really trust this shop then sorry to hear that.

Wednesday, January 12th, 2011 AT 4:14 PM