Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2003 Subaru Outback 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic
i have a torn cv boot on the front axle of my wife's outback. Napa has the whole axle assembly for a good price. My question is: how do I remove the front right (passenger side) drive axle to replace it?
FRONT AXLE SHAFTS
1. Disconnect ground cable from battery.
2. Jack-up vehicle, support it with safety stands (rigid rocks), and remove front wheel cap and wheels.
3. Unlock axle nut.
CAUTION: Be sure to loosen and retighten axle nut after removing wheel from vehicle. Failure to follow this rule may damage wheel bearings.
4. Depress brake pedal and remove axle nut using a socket wrench.
5. Remove stabilizer link from transverse link.
6. Disconnect transverse link from housing.
7. Remove spring pin which secures transmission spindle to SFJ. See Fig. 2 .
CAUTION : Be careful not to damage oil seal lip and tone wheel when removing front axle shaft. When front axle shaft is to be replaced, also replace inner oil seal.
8. Remove front axle shaft assembly. If it is hard to remove, use axle shaft puller and plate. See Fig. 3.
CAUTION:Be careful not to damage inner oil seal lip and tone wheel.
1. Insert BJ into hub splines.
2. Using axle shaft installer and adapter, pull axle shaft into place. See Fig. 17.
3. Tighten axle nut temporarily.
CAUTION:Always use a new spring pin.
4. Install SFJ on transmission spindle and drive spring pin into place. See Fig. 2.
CAUTION:Use a new self-locking nut.
5. Connect transverse link to housing.
6. Install stabilizer bracket.
" Use a new axle nut.
" Always tighten axle nut before installing wheel on vehicle. If wheel is installed and comes in contact with ground when axle nut is loose, wheel bearings may be damaged.
" Be sure to tighten axle nut to specification. DO NOT overtighten it as this may damage wheel bearing.
7. While depressing brake pedal, tighten axle nut to specification.
8. After tightening axle nut, lock it securely.
February, 19, 2010 AT 8:14 AM
Remove axle nut first (center of front hub), then lift and support vehicle , remove wheel and disconnect transverse link from housing, there is a roll pin on the trans that holds the axle to it, drive it out.