CAR STALLS OR RUNS VERY ROUGH.....

1998 Subaru Outback

woodyreedy

Engine problem
1998 Subaru Outback 4 cyl All Wheel Drive Automatic 250000 miles

Car stalls or runs VERY rough when the engine is cold. It runs perfect in the summer, but when the outside temperature goes down to about 50 or less, I MUST let the engine warm up before I attempt to drive it. As soon as I put the transmission in Drive it stalls or, if it doesn't stall, it will run VERY rough until it warms up.

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

woodyreedy

March, 16, 2008 AT 8:50 PM

I'm not sure why no one attempeted to help me with this problem, but, it is no longer a problem. A month ago the transmission " blew up". I towed it to the Subaru dealer and they said, " yup, your transmission blew up" and you'll need a new one. The cost, $4,000. I said thanks, but no thanks and had it re-towed to AAMCO. The Subaru dealer charged me $80 for sitting in my car, starting it, putting it in gear, hearing the god awful noise that was coming from the transmission and telling me that the transmission was trashed. What a rip. Anyway, AAMOCO rebuilt it for $2,600. It now runs great AND I no longer have the problem where it stalled/ran rough when the engine was cold.