REPLACING A TIMING BELT

Subaru

clapitan

August, 28, 2007 AT 12:00 AM

I have a 1994 Subaru Legacy sedan, 4 cylinder, with 180,000 miles. The timing belt was replaced once around 90,000 miles. I plan on selling the car within the next two months. Can I make it without replacing it, or is it more sale-able with the repair done? I found someone reliable who can do it for around $350. I have to have two front axles replaced, too, and they'll do those for around $250. The car seems like it will only sell for around $1900, so I am not sure if I should replace the timing belt or not. Thanks for your input.

Service Writer

August, 28, 2007 AT 5:52 AM

I would not replace it if I was selling it, but would inform the buyer that is would be a good idea. You can negotiate down, but never negotiate up. There may be a buyer who will do it himself or similiar. You can also refer the buyer to the mechanic you know if they want it done.

Step by Step Timing Belt Replacement Guide
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Serpentine Belt Replacement Mercedes Benz