FORESTER REAR WHEEL BERINGS

Subaru

drholly

July, 29, 2007 AT 6:10 PM

1999 Forester 45,000mi, 2.5L

Hi all,
I was traveling the coast of Oregon when the bearings want out(loud noise from rear) No dealer within 200mi.
A garage put in Timkin bearings but did not have special tools to remove the bearings, and used a die grinder to remove them, I have the old parts to prove it. OK so far, about 60mi on them. My question is what else did they have to cut to get the inner race out? I cannot see any damage because of the axle boots, etc. Should I be worried, because I am.

Wheel Assembly

Left Wheel Drags

M_H_RITZEL

July, 30, 2007 AT 10:38 AM

The races are pressed in, sometimes they have to be heated in order to get them out. Once out the new ones are pressed in. If you do not hear a rumbling sound comming from them you should be ok.

drholly

July, 30, 2007 AT 10:30 PM

Thanks for your quick reply, but I still don't understand why the bearings have been cut with a cutting wheel.
As I mentioned the mechanic did not have the dealer tool to remove the bearings. Do you think he cut the bearings out of the axle?

M_H_RITZEL

August, 9, 2007 AT 10:30 PM

Sometimes when they have been in for a while they have to be pressed out, sometimes that does not work, My old subaru they had to be torched out, there is a problem with that as it has the hubs go out of round with the heat, it would be better if they had ground them out.

Replace Tie Rod End
Upper Control Arm Replacement
Safely Changing Your Spare Tire