• Jaymon
  • 1993 Subaru Legacy

1993 Subaru Legacy

As I was driving the other day my car shut down. As I tried to start it up it was dead I just heard a clicking noise when I engaged the ignition. Everything seemed to work electictricly but it just made a clicking sound when trying to start it. It jump started right away but when I applyied the brakes it died again. I thought alternator or starter. But I first started by cleaning the battery terminals. As I pulled one cable off I noticed a loose piece of lead molding covering one terminal it was cracked and not in good shape. I pulled the piece of molding off of the terminal hooked the cable back up jumped it and now seems to be running fine. Any idea what this piece of lead was there for and would it have caused the vehicle to loose the charge. Do I need this molding. I've never seen this before I am buying a new battery anyway. Just curious.

Saturday, July 19th, 2008 AT 2:16 PM

• KHLow2008

Hi Jaymon,

That should be the extra piece that is used for providing the terminals with extra grip. As long as the terminals are secured well, it is dispensable.

A bad terminal connection can cause the charging problem described.

Sunday, July 20th, 2008 AT 2:22 AM