COIL / STRUT REPLACEMENT PROBLEM

2003 Subaru Forester

four finger mechanic

July, 16, 2008 AT 1:08 AM

Suspension problem
2003 Subaru Forester All Wheel Drive Manual 2.5X miles

Hi, I've made an attempt at replacing the front coil over strut suspension on my Subaru Forester 2003 2.5 X and run into trouble. When I removed the strut, the wheel assemble (rotor and brake caliper) flopped outboard onto my lap. Subsequently the wheels drive shaft cv joint, came away from the races within the six sided housing at the engine. I unclipped the boot slipped it back and two of the three bearing rings fell out, along with a lot of grease. Can this bearing set up be rebuilt? Or does it mean it's shot if the bearings come away from their posts? What should I do?

Replacing Rear Struts

Rear Strut

mhpautos

July, 16, 2008 AT 1:13 AM

Hi there,

This is quite repairable, you will have to remove the shaft from the car, and give it to your mechanic to re assemble, re pack with grease and replace the rubber boots while it is off, this is not a bid issue at all.

four finger mechanic

July, 16, 2008 AT 1:17 AM

Hi

Thanks for the quick reply. How is the six sided drive cup removed from the engine? It looks as though it is pressed in, and what about seals, and loosing all the tranny fluid onto my garage floor? Any ideas?

FFM

mhpautos

July, 16, 2008 AT 1:27 AM

Hi there.

I am fairly sure that there is a roll pin you have to knock out and the coupling will with draw from the transmission. Just have a look, as I don't have access to a manual just now, it will be quite visible and it should knock out easily. Let me know if you have in problems, but I will be off line for about 4 hrs.

four finger mechanic

July, 16, 2008 AT 8:51 AM

I will take a look. Being able to replace the bearings and grease without having to buy a whole new shaft is the key info to me. If I take the car to a shop now, I can at least be informed about that possible option, before they hose me for the whole works.

Thanks Mark

FFM

Air Shock Replacement Mercedes Benz S Class
Shock Replacement - Front Chevrolet Silverado
Leaf-Spring Squeak Repair - All Cars
Lower Control Arm Bushing Replacement Honda