Starting problem

CMPRGUY65
  • 1998 FORD F-150
I purchased this truck recently. The guy told me the fuel pump, fuel filter, plugs and wires were recently changed. I put a battery on it and scanned it with scan tool. No codes showed. I can hear fuel pump coming on. I cannot start it from key. I bypassed key to solenoid switch them it turns over and starts but runs for a few seconds then shuts off. The key switch okay so hard to to turn to on position. What can cause this problem?
Tuesday, April 11th, 2017 AT 4:02 AM

It may be a security system issue, try a reset as battery was replaced. A lot of times this happens when battery is disconnected. also, if you have another key try that not a new key. if still not starting have a mechanic scan for codes see if there is a problem with security system. See link.
https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-reset-a-security-system
Tuesday, April 11th, 2017 AT 5:54 AM
CAJUNGUY65
I brought the truck to a mechanic. He said he thinks it's the timing. He didn't scan for codes. I don't know what is going on with the truck
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 8:27 AM
If he scans for codes the security issue would show up right away it should be scanned for codes and fuel pressure checked first. Timing is controlled by the computer and is non adjustable
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 9:30 AM
CAJUNGUY65
He said being the battery was changed it erased all previous codes. I hooked up booster cables to get power when original battery was on truck. I plugged two different scan tools to it. They never showed any codes. I am puzzled and so is mechanic
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 10:31 AM
CAJUNGUY65
The mechanic said he did fuel pressure test. It is good pressure
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 10:33 AM
I still think it's a security issue he shold check transponder of security system see if it's screwed up fuel pressure should be 35-45 with key on engine off, check all fuses underhood as well. You replaced the battery and that is normally what happens to set security system.
Friday, May 5th, 2017 AT 12:04 PM
CAJUNGUY65
My Ford F150 5.4 LTR Triton engine has no power readings to about half of the fuses in both fuse boxes. Can you tell me where the ground wire(s) are for a truck like mine so I can check for bad ground(s). Thanks. I can also hear a fairly loud ticking sounds coming from under dash when key is in on position. What can cause that?
Saturday, May 27th, 2017 AT 6:30 AM
CAJUNGUY65
My email says there's an answer to the question I asked but I didn't receive it.
Saturday, May 27th, 2017 AT 12:19 PM
Most likely a relay is the clicking noise check your large fuses under hood if only one side of fuse box gets power you may have one of those blown. Also check by battery and engine on front and rear for ground wires.
Saturday, May 27th, 2017 AT 4:16 PM
CAJUNGUY65
Is the security system run by the computer? Do I need to change the computer?
Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 AT 8:13 AM
The security system is run by ecm but you only need to have it scanned for codes by a mechanic. If it's not programmed correctly a mechanic can do it. Auto parts scanners will not read this.
Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 AT 9:43 AM
Check fuses in power dist box with a test light some of these supply other sides of the fuse boxes. Fuse 19 and 22 are supplied by the ignition switch so that can be bad so start there first.
Wednesday, June 14th, 2017 AT 9:53 AM
CAJUNGUY65
Two mechanics checked truck. One found a security system issue. Could a bent key cause this problem? The only key I have for truck is bent pretty good.
Tuesday, June 20th, 2017 AT 5:38 AM
It could as it may cause the security to not read it right or screw up the ignition try another key but keep in mind I t may have to be programmed to start.
Tuesday, June 20th, 2017 AT 5:40 AM
CAJUNGUY65
The key does not have a chip in it. I called dealership with the VIN number. They told me this one doesn't have a chip in the key
Tuesday, June 20th, 2017 AT 10:04 AM
Well because it is "bent pretty good" may have screwed up the ignition swith.
Tuesday, June 20th, 2017 AT 11:59 AM
CMPRGUY65
If I was to get a key made for this truck, would that work to get it started? I have only one key for it which the previous owner gave me when I purchased the truck. It does not have a chip in the key. I called several dealers they all told me this truck doesn't have a chip.
Friday, July 7th, 2017 AT 12:53 PM
You would have to follow the procedure for a new key which i'm not sure our manuals have. It will be in an owners manual however if you have one.
Friday, July 7th, 2017 AT 3:02 PM
CMPRGUY65
My ford f 150 is still doing the same thing. I had it in two different mechanic shops one kept the truck for a month the other kept the truck for 51/2 weeks. The last one said it was the key. But the key does not have a chip so why does it need to be programmed? I have a strong feeling it's the computer. What are your thoughts
Tuesday, July 11th, 2017 AT 7:23 PM
If the ignition switch does not match up to transponder for security it will not start, it will turn over maybe but because you have had a bad battery when you disconnect it or battery is bad the security system auto matically sets. I think you might have a new ignition switch with key put in and programmed to the computer there is something going on there that is being lost in our/mechanic/owner communication. It still acts like a security problem not being able to check this physically is all I can go by I will leave this question open to see if someone else can come up with something.
Wednesday, July 12th, 2017 AT 6:26 AM