Sputtering/dying

Z324LIFE
  • 1992 NISSAN 300ZX

My 92 300zx seems to have an intermittent problem with sputtering. At first it only happened in the rain when I was driving 45+ mph. I drove it in the rain one day and I guess I drove through a puddle that was about 4in deep, but I was driving very slow, and it actually sputtered and died. The electrical system is working fine. We took a look and saw that my air intake filter had fallen off and put it back on. The car ran fine after that, but after a few days started having the same sputtering issue. The engine also smelled like someone was barbecuing. I haven't had it checked, but I think my fuel pressure is fine, when I take the cap off there is a hissing sound as if it is very pressurized. Before I started having this issue the engine smelled like gas a little, I am not sure if that is related. I have been told to check the maf. It seems to have more issue when I accelerate than under idle. Is there anything else I should be checking?

Monday, May 20th, 2013 AT 6:11 PM

KHLOW2008

Start with a check for trouble codes and ensure the MAF and air hoses are intact and securely fastened with no vacuum leakages.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Monday, May 20th, 2013 AT 6:26 PM
Z324LIFE

I ran codes and got a 34:detonation censor circuit
Would an issue here possibly be causing my issue or should I still check the MAF and hoses?

Tuesday, May 21st, 2013 AT 6:34 PM
KHLOW2008

Code 34 is the knock sensor and yes, it can cause engine performance problems.

Wednesday, May 22nd, 2013 AT 6:52 AM