Shuts off while driving

ADAM.S
  • 2006 HYUNDAI SONATA
  • TURBO
Hey! I am having trouble with my car. What happens is that I start the car (with a little fight, need to twist the key for a second) and drive away. After a few hundred meters the car shuts off, when I push down the accelerator pedal nothing happens and the speedometer is lowered to 0. The instrument panel lights start to shine with a solid shine. Oil lamp, battery light and engine light. I first suspected the generator, when I have a mobile charger and charged the battery, it worked to drive the car again in a few hundred meters. The longer the charging time, the longer the driving time. Took the car to a mechanic who, however, read the error codes:

P0700 - Transmission control.
P0741 - Torque converter could.

Could it be above error codes shutting down the engine or could it be something else? These error codes come and go.
Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 AT 7:09 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning.

Those codes will not shut the car down.

I would start by charging the battery and load testing it. Then check the charging system to be sure the generator is working.

Low voltage is a very common cause for this issue.

Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 AT 7:26 AM
RENEE
Hello ADAM.S,

If you decide to check the condition of your battery yourself here is a link to helpful information from this site that features written instructions, pictures and a video explaining how to load test your battery yourself. If you need further assistance please come back to 2CarPros.com. We are always happy to help.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-check-a-car-battery

Thank you for visiting 2CarPros.

Kindest regards,

Renee
Admin
Tuesday, March 13th, 2018 AT 10:46 AM