Radiator removal?

HATTONRW
  • 2007 DODGE DAKOTA
This question relates to the vehicle listed above Quad Cab SLT.
It seems these trucks are infamous for the center radiator support rusting out, but on this one the section the radiator support bolts to is also rusted, so I would like to replace both sides (part #55359644AC and 55359645AC) as well as the center support and radiator. Parts diagrams do not show much about how these attach and I am finding no information on the replacement, but MOPAR does not list these as part of the frame. Mostly I am wondering if this is a bolt-on replacement or if frame alignment and welding is needed, as that would be beyond my expertise.
Thanks!
Saturday, December 8th, 2018 AT 5:17 AM

ASEMASTER6371
Good morning,

I attached a picture of the upper radiator support. That is the only part that is a bolt on. Anything beyond this is welded and must be properly aligned before welding as if it is welded in the wrong spot, nothing will line up. This guide can help walk you through the steps of the radiator replacement with instructions below to help you on your truck.

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-replace-a-car-radiator

Check out the diagrams (Below). Please let us know if you need anything else to get the problem fixed.
Saturday, December 8th, 2018 AT 5:54 AM
HATTONRW
What I need to replace is the two rails that the radiator support bolts to, so I guess that will be a job for the body shop. There is also a lower radiator support (not pictured) that bolts on. That is what is totally missing from the truck in question.
Saturday, December 8th, 2018 AT 6:29 AM
ASEMASTER6371
Yep, the lower and the sides are definitely welded on only after the frame is checked and in the correct position. You will need to make sure the frame rails are in the exact location and that requires some special tools.

Saturday, December 8th, 2018 AT 6:47 AM
TUNER
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
Removal steps for the radiator.
Monday, November 16th, 2020 AT 11:46 AM (Merged)
KEN

You will need to drain the coolant first, here is a guide to get you headed in the right direction and a few diagrams (BELOW) to further assist you.

Please let us know what happens.

Cheers, Ken

+2
TINA BAIZE
  • 2002 DODGE DAKOTA
I'm struggling trying to get the radiator out for replacement. Should I remove the bumper?
DOCFIXIT
No need to remove bumper remove upper shroud, transmission lines then unbolt radiator
+4
TINA BAIZE
The diagram makes it look easy. My front bumper isnt allowing the removal of the radiator, a/c cooling unit and oil cooling unit to come out in one piece as shown above. I'm only replacing the radiator so I need to detach the other cooling units to replace the radiator. The reverse V support is in the way on the engine side and the bumper is in the way on the grill side. Frustrating.
+1
DOCFIXIT
Pulls out and up front not into engine compartment
+1
WALTERSIDOROW
Just remove the tie bar on the radiator support and 2 10mm bolts in L/R lower corners and lift up. But if you want to remove the bumper than go ahead. Its easy enough. I do that just so I don't have to lean over it.
+2
MULTIBURON
  • 2000 DODGE DAKOTA
So I put a new radiator in my 2000 Dakota 3.9 because the old one was busted. I checked every passage way for blockes before putting the radiator in. The truck runs fine I get good heat but the right half the radiator is hot the other is cool to the touch. Why would that be? Is this normal? Did I not fill it correctly?
It can be considered normal. I've seen it many times. If the heater is working, the overflow is not going to empty, and the engine is running at a normal operating temp, it is fine.
MULTIBURON
  • 2000 DODGE DAKOTA
What would make my radiator do this?
What does the radiator do?
MULTIBURON
Here is a picture! It is expanding for some reason.
I may have already replied to this, but it looks like too much pressure is getting into the cooling system. Two things could cause it. A bad head gasket could allow compressed air into the system. However, the radiator cap should release pressure at around 15psi. If the radiator cap isn't releasing, it can cause too much pressure to build. What to do is this. With the engine cold, remove the radiator cap and start the engine. Does the coolant spray out of the radiator? If not, the head gaskets should be fine. The next step is to try replacing the radiator cap with a new one. If I recall, the original ones were set to release at 15 psi. You may want to try a lower release. I believe the go all the way down to 9 psi.

Let me know if you have other questions.

UNIVERSALFREEDOM13
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
Our radiator is leaking and we are having to add more coolant every day or every other day. We have to do a 20 hour drive home on monday and cant afford to go to a mechanic until we get there. We thought about using that radiator stop leak stuff but heard that it can mess up the water pump so we have not used it yet. What do you suggest we do?
Monday, November 16th, 2020 AT 11:47 AM (Merged)
BLUELIGHTNIN6
If you can't afford to fix it until after the trip then the best thing to do is just keep a close eye on the water level during the trip and bring lots of extra water to keep it filled. Any type of stop leak product will do more harm than good in the long run, it will just make a mess on the inside of the system.
BEEF99
Do not put stop leak in your vehicle, Dodge's vehicles have smaller holes in their heater cores and they will plug up and then you will have a real problem. Like the other guy said, just keep an eye on the water level bu you could also get a radiator from a junk yard that may be in better shape and get you by. I honestly suggest you find a way to replace the radiator before leaving because it may leave you stranded on such a long journey whether or not you keep an eye on it. With a leak like that, your radiator could give way and you may not be able to keep any fluid in it at all and if your truck overheats, it could permanently damage your engine.
KEITHFALLS
  • 1998 DODGE DAKOTA
I am removing the radiator and cannot disconnect one of the transmission cooling lines, any advice

Sponsored links