Shaking when accelerating

LOU20
  • 2008 KIA RIO
I noticed my car started shaking when I was accelerating onto the highway. I just changed my rack and pinion, got an alignment, tires were also balanced. Trying to figure out what can be causing this issue.
Friday, May 13th, 2022 AT 6:40 PM

JOE F
Hi,

If you feel a vibration only when accelerating, oftentimes it is a work CV joint. If you turn the steering all the way in one or the other direction and accelerate, do you notice any clicking from the front of the vehicle? Also, since you just did all of this work, have you made sure nothing has come loose?

Take a look through this link and let me know if anything mirrors what you experience:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/symptoms-of-a-bad-cv-axle-joint

Let me know.

Friday, May 13th, 2022 AT 9:52 PM
LOU20
Nothing loose, I can't really tell about the clicking noise. I do have this squealing or whining noise coming from the passenger side around where my belt is located.
Saturday, May 14th, 2022 AT 12:41 AM
JOE F
Try this: Start the engine so it produces noise. Take a small amount of water and pour it on the belt to see if the sound changes. If it does, then either the belt is worn, stretched, or the tensioner is bad.

If possible, record the noise you hear and upload it for me to hear. Hopefully, I'll be able to identify it.

Let me know.

Saturday, May 14th, 2022 AT 7:42 PM
LOU20
My check engine light came on yesterday got the code read, and it said the crankshaft sensor. I uploaded the video about the noise I was hearing trying to see if it's not the timing belt.
Sunday, May 15th, 2022 AT 12:01 PM
JOE F
Hi,

The whining noise I hear sounds like one of the belt-driven accessories. Actually, I would think it's coming from the alternator and really doesn't sound bad.

As far as the code for the crankshaft position sensor is concerned, what is the actual code? In most cases, the engine won't run if the sensor fails.

Let me know.

Monday, May 16th, 2022 AT 7:03 PM
LOU20
That's what I had going on my car didn't want to start they use the reader and it said crankshaft position sensor. Got it changed the car cranks now. The whining noise gets louder at a certain speed. We were thinking maybe a bearing on the pulley not sure.
Tuesday, May 17th, 2022 AT 2:05 AM
JOE F
Hi,

Try this. Turn all electrical components off and start it. Then turn all electrical components on to see if the sound changes.

It certainly can be a bearing failure as you mentioned, but it sounds to me like it's coming from the alternator, but I am listening to a recording.

You may also want to remove the belt and spin each component to see if any make noise or have excessive play.

Let me know. Also, let me know what I can do to help you.

Take care,

Tuesday, May 17th, 2022 AT 6:54 PM

Sponsored links