Serpentine belt not lining up

STEELESTORM
  • 2001 CHEVROLET MALIBU
I had my serpentine belt replaced in a garage about a month ago because it was squealing and slipping off. Last week it slipped off again. I took the tension-er off and it was busted bad. I replaced it with a new one from Advanced auto part number 89241. Now the belt is not lining up and it keeps slipping off the crank shaft and half way off the idle pulley above it. What could be the problem?
Saturday, February 18th, 2017 AT 10:16 AM

Check correct tension and belt. Check that the pulleys all line up. Sometimes I use a long straight edge across pulley face, see if the other pulleys line up? Check that no pulley is trying to seize. That is all I can think of, at the moment?
+1
Saturday, February 18th, 2017 AT 10:57 AM
KEN
I would recheck the mounting of the tensioner it sounds like the alignment pin is not in the hole.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken
+1
Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 9:50 AM
STEELESTORM
I took the tension-er back and got a new one just in case it was defective. It is 100% on right. Now the car either does not start or the belt just comes right off. Should the crankshaft and AC compressor line up perfect when a straightedge is applied to the outside? The crankshaft is about.05-1" further out than the ac compressor. From what read it could be the harmonic balancer. Any thoughts or suggestions would be grealty appreciated.
Thank you
Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 10:48 AM
Take the belt off, try to move all pulleys, in and out, up and down, even on the crankshaft, any movement? With belt on, can you easily turn any pulley by hand, if so, I do not think that is enough tension, whatever the reason. A different tension-er seemed to change things, correct? I don't where you got the tension-er? Can you try one from dealership? I do not like that one inch, can you easily move the ac pulley or crank shaft? With out being able to look at it, I am bouncing up against, I do not know.
+1
Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 1:23 PM
STEELESTORM
It is the harmonic balancer:( and seal. What is the best way to get to the harmonic balancer in a 2001 Chevrolet Malibu? Looked it up found no results. A garage I called said they would have to remove the engine but if I can get to it by taking the wheel off I can do it myself. I guess the question is can I get to it by the wheel off? Simple instructions would be a greatly appreciated.
Thank you.
Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 3:11 PM
KEN
Hey STEELESTORM,

You can do it yourself if there is enough room, have have a guide which has a video

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-a-harmonic-balancer-works

Please check it out and let me know what you think

Best, Ken
Monday, February 20th, 2017 AT 5:57 PM
Hope you get it going your way.
Tuesday, February 21st, 2017 AT 7:50 AM