Serpentine belt

NICCIG80
  • 2010 FORD FOCUS
Serpentine belt busted on my 2010 Ford Focus. It had melted onto the pulley, so I replaced both tensioner and idler pulleys, along with serpentine belt. Now when I start the car, it dies within 30 seconds, and starts smoking. Check engine light is on, which it wasn't before the belt broke. So is this just something I may have done wrong with either the pulleys or putting the belt on? I have been trying to get this fixed and drivable for 2 weeks and I'm so extremely frustrated. Help!
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 7:03 PM

More than likely something is locked up. The generator is the best suspect. Loosen the belt again, then spin each pulley by hand to see which one is stuck.

What is smoking, the belt or something with the engine?
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 7:13 PM
NICCIG80
I couldn't tell; it seemed to be coming from down by the pulley. That's why I assumed I had done something wrong.
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 7:16 PM
If I understand correctly, the belt was melted before you replaced parts. That tells me it's not that you did something wrong. It's that you didn't go far enough to find the cause of the problem. You only repaired the result.
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 7:23 PM
NICCIG80
Well that's not comforting :)
So what would be the cause of these problems? Any idea? It's very possible that I did something wrong. I had to YouTube directions for pulley and belt replacement to even get the job done. It took a full two days of frustration and meltdowns for me to get the belt on correctly. When I finally did it, I was so thrilled, and then the car died 20 seconds or so after I started it. Grrrrrr
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 7:28 PM
I think our replies crossed in the mail. You don't have to remove the belt again. Just loosen it enough so you can spin each pulley by hand. Or you can watch for which one is not turning while a helper cranks the engine.
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 7:38 PM
NICCIG80
Okay, thank you!
Saturday, December 26th, 2015 AT 7:39 PM