STARTER

1991 Saturn Sport Coupe

bengenie

February, 23, 2010 AT 8:58 AM

1991 Saturn Sport Coupe 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

hello, my daughters saturn was inconsistantly starting. I replaced the spark plugs, which had one chamber drenched in oil. Checked fluids, etc. When I start it, the starter spins but no turnover. It may or may not take a couple of times but then it starts right up. Where should I look next?

saturntech9

February, 23, 2010 AT 1:15 PM

As far as the oil in the plug wires u need to replace the valve cover gasket it's leaking into the plugs and wires. Now to ur starting concern if u can hear ur starter spining really good but it's not turning the engine over then what's happening is ur starter bendix isn't pushing the starter gear out.U need a new starter. If u pull the starter out u can make sure that's what it is by taking it to a auto parts store like autozone u can't test it in the car then u can see the gear not kicking out. Let me know what u find.

Starter Replacement
Starter Motor Replacement Ford Mustang
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011