CAR MAKING A GRINDING / HOWLING NOISE

2000 Saturn SL2

gmarisa30

June, 18, 2010 AT 4:35 PM

Noises problem
2000 Saturn SL2 4 cyl Four Wheel Drive Manual 80000 miles

My car is makiing a sporatic grinding / howling noise that last for about 3 seconds and helps if I turn the car off and then back on. With in the last 2 years, I have had put in a rebuilt engine, new serpitine belt, water, pump, radiator, and intake manifold. Noise is coming from the passenger upper right side? Please advise.

saturntech9

June, 18, 2010 AT 5:49 PM

If you mean facing the belt upper right side you mean the a/c compressor area?If so I would make sure the center of the a/c clutch turns freely then remove the belt and spin the a/c clutch see if you can feel or hear that noise. Also spin all the other pulley's then start the car without the belt see if the noise is still there don't let it run very long without the belt. Let me know what you find.

gmarisa30

June, 18, 2010 AT 7:21 PM

It's coming from under hood - I guess if you're standing in front of the car - it would upper left area. Would an air pump make that noise?

saturntech9

June, 18, 2010 AT 7:45 PM

So it mostly does it when the engine is cold?Could be the pump if it only does it when first started?Let me know.

Serpentine Belt Replacement
Radiator Replacement Mercedes Benz ML 500
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Toyota
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front BMW M3
Oil and Filter Replacement BMW M5 2005-2010