1999 Saturn SL1 wont start

SATURNIMPORT99
  • 1999 SATURN SL1
Well my car was sitting almost a year. I was gone. My dad drove it a few times. I got home and tryed to start it. Nothing. I bought a new battery. And I got nothing. Can anyone help me
Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 11:06 PM

SATURNTECH9
U say it does start but does the engine spin and not start?Or does it not spin if it does spin can u hear the starter click.
Monday, January 11th, 2010 AT 11:55 PM
SATURNIMPORT99
I hear sumthing trying to move. When I tryed to start it before it was trying to start but then it just went dead. Im thinking it maybe the starter. I put the key in and then turn it over everything work like the lights radio etc.
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 12:58 AM
SATURNTECH9
So did it ever crank over normally with ur new battery?U should take a breaker bar and socket and put it on the crankshaft bolt and make sure the engine turns over freely. Let me know what u find.
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 1:28 AM
SATURNIMPORT99
No it didnt crank with the new battery. I think I may of fried something but I have no where to look or what to look for
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 2:20 AM
SATURNIMPORT99
Hi there. I went out side to work on her today. It moves. I was playing with the cable that goes down to the starter it was loose so I tightened it up. Still go nothing. Could this mean that I got a bad starter
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 9:51 PM
SATURNTECH9
Ok so u have a new battery clean and tight cables. When u turn the key does it sound like the starter is even trying to turn?I was hoping ur engine was frozen I have seen that. Do u have a test light if u dont u should get one and I can tell u how to trace power to starter so we can tell if u have a bad starter ignition switch etc. Let me know.
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 1:48 PM
SATURNIMPORT99
All you hear when u try to turn the key is the fuel. Im not sure what is turning. But I do hear sumthing trying to move. Im reallythinking its the starter
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 5:11 PM
SATURNTECH9
Well u can change the starter if u like that's up too. But If it's not the starter then ur back to square one and wasted all that money.I can't give u a magic answer and tell u yeah it's the starter not being there and seeing what's going and testing some stuff.I would see if the engine turns over freely since it's been sitting so long. If u don't want to get a test light and have me guide u threw some tests then I guess if u want u can just start replacing things and hope for the best. Good luck if u want anymore help please let me know.
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 5:20 PM
SATURNIMPORT99
Well I dont have the money to get a starter. But im not sure what test u are talking about.
Wednesday, January 13th, 2010 AT 6:41 PM
SATURNTECH9
Iam talking about taking a test light to trace power from ur ignition switch thru ur selector switch down to ur starter and if u have power down to ur starter when u turn the key then we will know u have a bad starter unless we do some kind of testing then we will never be able to figure out what's wrong with ur car. If u don't have power to ur starter then we will have to figure why we don't. Iam really trying to help u here I can't do the testing iam not there. So that leaves u if can't do the testing then I can't help u. Let me know what u want to do.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 12:14 AM
SATURNIMPORT99
Ok I was working on it and the car was going click click so the starter is good. I put my meater on the battery and it was reading 12 v so I put it on the charger to see if it can get a full charge. Yeah so all I hear is a click click and its the starter any more idea that u may think of
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 11:15 AM
SATURNTECH9
Ok the starter is going click click u can make sure u have 12 volts when u turn the key at the little post on the starter where the purple wire hooks on.U can also see if the engine turns over freely with a wrench or breaker bar. If the engine turns over freely and u have 12 volts at that wire and battery cables are clean and tight then u have a bad starter. Another thing u can do is while someone is turning the key u can tap on the starter with a hammer on the big part of the starter it just might get the starter going if ur getting 12 volts to that purple wire and the engine turns over freely. Let me know what happens.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 12:42 PM
SATURNIMPORT99
Yeah it goes click click. My dad was looking and he saw nothing move like the belts or anything. How do I move the engine what part do I go in at. I tryed to tap it with a hammer but still nothing. It sounds like it not getting a connection or sumthing. Like theres no fire u can hear the fuel moving and the starter click so im not sure what to do from her e
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 1:20 PM
SATURNIMPORT99
Well iwent to autozone and they tested my starter and it was not good. Good thing I had a warranty on it. So I got a brand new one. Tomm I will install it and tell you the details thanks for your advice
kenny
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 6:15 PM
SATURNTECH9
U would turn the engine over by using the crankshaft bolt turn it clock wise let me know how it turns.
Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 6:33 PM
SATURNIMPORT99
Hey thanks for all the help. I got it started finally it was the alternator. It was seased up. Thank you again for all ur advice
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 4:06 PM
SATURNTECH9
Glad to hear u got it figured out what a weird one the alternator frozen. Well good thing u tried turning it over.
Sunday, January 17th, 2010 AT 4:52 PM