1999 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 205000 miles
Most of the time the wipers after being turned on, will not turn off. With the wiper switch in the off position then wipers will continue to run on there own, the intermittent stage’s does not work when this happens, but then high setting will work. Then all of sudden after maybe 30 minutes ( with the switch in the off position) the wipers turn off. This problem will continue even after the motor has been turned off and then back on. Then next time the wipers works just prefect work just fine. This problem started about year ago in the summer, then went away over winter and now has come back an is almost a permanent problem.
In order to get the wipers off, I can turn the switch off, and then as the wipers are working, at a time during the cycle as the wipers are in the start position and before ethey start back up, I can hit the drivers only wiper blade( will not work hitting the passengers blade , they turn off ( kind of hard to do at 60 mph)
I have noticed that at time the wipers go way to far to the left ( tip of blade off the glass) and then at other times they are with in the normal range.
1) wipers blades replaced
2) tightened all bolts under the hood for motor, arms and mounts dealing with the wipers and the entire set up
3) jingling the wiper switch has never helped.
4) made sure wiper arm mounts above the hood are on the tight and aligned right
5) fuse box under the hood, there is a relay ( told is for running lights) that has a small crack in it. A few times when I have tapped the box the wipers stopped right away, other times no effect
Would the wiper circuit breaker be broke? If so where is the breaker located? Inside fuse box?
6) I have had a mechanic work on this for several hours and he told to wire up a toggle switch to turn the wiper on and off.
Thnak you for the help
have the same problem?
Friday, October 30th, 2009 AT 7:57 PM