1998 Saturn SL1 harmonic balancer

• 1 POST
  • 1998 SATURN SL1

Noises problem
1998 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 206603 miles

I was just told that the problem with my car is the harmonic balancer. Can you just enlighten me about what to expect price -wise for a repair bill, and what exactly is the purpose of this problematic part. It was making a horrible nosie when I would de-celerate. My mechanic said it is a volatile situation. I drive 125 miles a day. It is up on the hydraulic as I write this. Anything I can ask when he calls me tomorrow to let me know what he has found?

Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 AT 6:38 PM

What exactly is the purpose of this problematic part

The harmonic balancer, which is also known as a harmonic damper, is essential to the longevity of an engine since it prevents crankshaft failure. It is usually mounted at the front end of the crankshaft in order to absorb and dissipate the majority of the vibration energy. It consists of the hub, an outer weight ring, and a sandwiched layer of flexible rubber. It is the rubber that absorbs the energy of the vibrating crankshaft in the form of heat, damping the amount of vibration to within safe limits.

The crankshaft is the part of the engine that converts the up and down motion of the pistons and connecting rods during the combustion cycle into rotary motion that spins the transmission and the vehicle's drive wheels. Every time a cylinder fires, the force twists the crankshaft. When the cylinder stops firing the force ceases to act and the crankshaft starts to return to the untwisted position. However, the crankshaft will overshoot and begin to twist in the opposite direction, and then back again. Eventually the crankshaft will experience torsional vibration which can cause it to fail after some time.

The labor cost varies with location could range from $70.00-$130.00 per hourly rate also see below quote

Wednesday, May 6th, 2009 AT 6:57 PM