BATTERY ISSUES??

1998 Saturn SL1

beaglehugs

March, 9, 2010 AT 8:37 PM

1998 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

I have just replaced the battery in my vehicle, but it still does not start every time. Sometime it starts sometimes it does not. What is wrong with it

saturntech9

March, 9, 2010 AT 8:55 PM

When u replaced the battery did u have the alternator tested?Also when it doesnt start does the engine turn over or not. Can u hear the starter click?

beaglehugs

March, 10, 2010 AT 4:05 PM

I have not tested the altenator yet. And when I turn the key you can hear a low hum put that is it nothing happens

saturntech9

March, 10, 2010 AT 5:28 PM

Where is the humming comming from?Is that why u repalced the battery because it wasnt starting and humming?Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Do u have a multimeter or test light to do some testing and I could help u fiugure out why its not turning over. Let me know.

beaglehugs

March, 11, 2010 AT 3:14 PM

When I tried to start it up yesterday it did. Then I turned off and when I tried again it did not, but I did hear this time the start click

saturntech9

March, 11, 2010 AT 3:46 PM

Sounds like a bad starter when it gets hot it stops working. Wel if u have atleast 12 volts all the time to the postive battery cable on the starter and atleast 12volts when u turn the key at the little purple on the starter then u have a bad starter. Let me know what u find.

Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Guide
Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Alternator testing done right