1998 SATURN SL1 BATTERY ISSUES??

• beaglehugs
  • 1998 Saturn SL1

1998 Saturn SL1 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 170000 miles

I have just replaced the battery in my vehicle, but it still does not start every time. Sometime it starts sometimes it does not. What is wrong with it

Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 8:37 PM

• saturntech9

When u replaced the battery did u have the alternator tested?Also when it doesnt start does the engine turn over or not. Can u hear the starter click?

Tuesday, March 9th, 2010 AT 8:55 PM
  • beaglehugs

I have not tested the altenator yet. And when I turn the key you can hear a low hum put that is it nothing happens

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 4:05 PM
  • saturntech9

Where is the humming comming from?Is that why u repalced the battery because it wasnt starting and humming?Make sure the battery cables are clean and tight. Do u have a multimeter or test light to do some testing and I could help u fiugure out why its not turning over. Let me know.

Wednesday, March 10th, 2010 AT 5:28 PM
  • beaglehugs

When I tried to start it up yesterday it did. Then I turned off and when I tried again it did not, but I did hear this time the start click

Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 3:14 PM
  • saturntech9

Sounds like a bad starter when it gets hot it stops working. Wel if u have atleast 12 volts all the time to the postive battery cable on the starter and atleast 12volts when u turn the key at the little purple on the starter then u have a bad starter. Let me know what u find.

Thursday, March 11th, 2010 AT 3:46 PM