I HAVE A 1997 SATURN SC2 WITH ABOUT 108000 MILES...

Saturn

petey

February, 25, 2006 AT 10:14 PM

I have a 1997 Saturn SC2 with about 108,000 miles on it. I just got it a few months ago and i've noticed that it has a lot of trouble accelerating. (Which is a real hassle when trying to merge onto the highway!) And it also has trouble when the road goes uphill, no matter how small the slant is. It just gets slower and slower. And then when it goes downhill, if I do not hit either the brakes or the gas, it decelerates rather than picking up speed, which seems like an odd thing to me. So if you have any idea what the problem could be, that would be great!

peppermrj

February, 26, 2006 AT 1:27 PM

Welcome to the forum. : )
Does the motor run smoothly?
Standard or automatic transmission?
Any colored smoke from the tailpipe?
What maintenence has been done?
Air filter?
Fuel filter?
Spark plugs?
Spark plug wires?
Are the brakes dragging?
Is the parking brake releasing?
Feel the wheels (front and rear) to see if any or all are extremely hot.
After a 10 mile drive what does the temperature gauge read? Does the heater function properly?

Don't you hate people that answer a question with a question? : Twisted: Post back! : Wink:

petey

February, 26, 2006 AT 2:39 PM

Thanks for the welcome: ) and yes, the motor runs smoothly i'd say. It's automatic transmission. There's no colored smoke from the tailpipe. As for air filter, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires, I have no idea. I don't think the brakes are dragging, but I don't really know what that means. Haha. The temperate is always good according to the gauge. And the heater functions properly. I haven't gotten anything checked yet at all, I was just trying to get an idea of what it might be before I go.

peppermrj

February, 26, 2006 AT 2:56 PM

With that sort of mileage I would think that most of those items are due to be changed.

I would recommend having a compression test done to judge the internal mechanical condition of the engine. This simple measure the pressure of each cylinder.

Brakes dragging simply means that the brakes are being applied but then they are not releasing. They will get very hot while driving and can be judged by simply touching the wheels. Will the car roll on a slight grade in nuetral?

I asked about the temperature gauge and the heat because Saturns ar notorious for bad coolant temperature sensors. They originally came from the factory with composite/plastic tips that eventually crack. This failure effects performance, mileage, idle speed, and eventually even engine starting. The updated sensors from Saturn have an all brass tip. A lot of time when the original cracks it ruins the wire connector also.

If your compression test results are within specification have a tune up (no platinum spark plugs) done along with an oil and transmission fluid change.

Let us know how it goes. : )

petey

February, 26, 2006 AT 4:20 PM

Thank you very much! I will let you know how it goes when I get it checked!