RADIATOR ANTIFREEZE IN GAS TANK

Saturn

concerned dad

March, 18, 2006 AT 10:03 AM

My son ran out of gas in his Saturn lat night, a passerby told him it was safte to put radiator antifreeze in his gas tank to get him to the gas station. It worked, but I am concerned about what problems this will cause to his engine. Should the gas line and gas tank be drained?

peppermrj

March, 18, 2006 AT 11:20 PM

Welcome to the forum. : )
Are you serious? : Shock: Better yet is he serious? : Twisted: Let me know if he was pulling your and my leg. If he was smack him one for me too. : Wink: That is a new one on me. I would be running fuel injector cleaner for the next several tankfulls. Chevron with techron works well for me.

Good luck and let us now?

concerned dad

March, 19, 2006 AT 6:42 AM

: ( Yes, unfortunately I am serious. Pretty obvious that my son is not mechanically inclined. Anyways, He did use some gas line antifreeze and used the rest of the radiator antifreeze he had in his trunk as well. Antifreeze is antifreeze, so he thought. Thanks for the advice : ). Hopefully he learned a valuable lesson : wink:

peppermrj

March, 19, 2006 AT 10:41 AM

Did a little research. A few years back (1999) a new product was non flamable emergency gas (fuel addititive). Billed as save to store for up to 5 years and sold in about a half gallon container. It was supposed to let the car run for several miles to the gas station.

There was concern that it was harmfull to the fuel system of your car and should only be used once. I looked up a few manufacturers (prestone and pennzoil) that originally sold the stuff. Neither list the product anymore on their websites. It is also not listed by most autoparts houses.

I am assuming that it is not still marketed for a reason. That being that is wasn't good for continued use. I am also assuming that the antifreeze is the same type of deal. Go with the fuel injector cleaner.

Thanxs for the update and the interesting topic. Let us know if your son does have any trouble with his Saturn. : I learn something new everyday on this site. : )

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Change
Fuel Filter Replacement Chevrolet Silverado
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford Mustang