CAR LOSING SPARK

Saturn

mcneeskiss

April, 16, 2007 AT 9:14 AM

I have a 97 Saturn SL2.

About a month ago, my car just died. I was able to get it started after a few minutes, drove it for a couple of blocks and it died again. Did the same thing again and finally died for awhile. A few hours later it started and I was able to drive it for a couple of miles.

I have replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, spark plugs and wires and it is still doing the same thing.

Any thoughts.
Thanks,
Carol

peppermrj

April, 16, 2007 AT 4:07 PM

Hey carol,

How many miles?

Has the ECTS (coolant temp sensor) been updated. The original ECTS had a composite tip that cracked. the one on my 96 SC2 went right around 100,000 miles. It plays heck with starting, running, idle, fuel economy, and more. Start by replacing it if you have not had it done.

Saturn has an updated ECTS with a brass tip that will outlive the car. You should be able to get 1 from your dealer or over the net for around twenty bucks US.

Here is a link to the replacement procedure.
http://www.2carpros.com/forum/saturn-sc-1-1995-vt4925.html?highlight=wolfman

Good luck and let us know. :)
peppermrj

mcneeskiss

April, 17, 2007 AT 9:53 AM

It will go about 10 miles or so.

I checked and the ECTS has been replace numerous times, most recently a few months ago.

If it helps the engine has 198,000 on it.

Thanks,
Carol

Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe