BRAKE ROTOR CHANGE (AND PADS?)

Saturn

nestordt

September, 28, 2007 AT 12:44 PM

I have a 2001 SL Saturn, 1.9L, 65K. I am about to have both fron brake rotors replaced, however I am not sure if every rotor change have to be accompanied by a brake pads change. Is this a rule? Will it depend of the condition of them? At which point pads have also to be changed when changing rotors? Thank you.

Service Writer

September, 28, 2007 AT 1:36 PM

This is a debated issue. My personal belief is to do them together and also to clean and adjust the rear brakes at the same time. I think it gives you the best scenario of maximum surface area for stopping thus decreasing your braking distance.

nestordt

September, 28, 2007 AT 2:01 PM

Thank you for the answer. But is there a fact like " different curvatures" between new rotor and an old pad, that support your belief? Just to know, since this is what I heard from the dealership. For sure what you say is logic in terms of best performance, then I will do it.

Service Writer

September, 29, 2007 AT 7:44 AM

There is a mating relationship problem by intermixing the two. Unless the rotor was free of defects, the pad wear will be affected in it's geometry. If the rotor was free of defects. You wouldn't be replacing it.

You don't need to go to the dealer for this. There are plenty of independent shops that can service you.

nestordt

September, 29, 2007 AT 4:16 PM

Pretty clear. Thanks a lot.

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement Ford Explorer
Brake Pads and Rotor Replacement - Front Ford
Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement - Rear
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement - Front
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Ford Escape
Brake Pad/Rotor Replacement Toyota Tacoma