95 SL1 ERATIC IDLE

1995 Saturn

lilhrtbrkngrl

May, 5, 2007 AT 2:42 PM

My 95 SL1 has 118000 miles on it and when I am sitting at a stop light it starts idling up and down. This usually only happens when its at normal operating temperature. Runs great when its cold. It also looses power and struggles to take off after its warmed up like the clutch is slipping but I've had that checked. I've also replaced the timing chain & gears, Crank Position Sensor, plugs, wires, fuel pump, coil pack, catalytic converter. Other than that the car runs great and has a lot of spunk once its moving. Can you please help?

peppermrj

May, 6, 2007 AT 9:24 PM

Hey lilhrtbrkngrl,

The coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) are known problems on the ealier Sattys. The had plastic tips that crack. The new design from saturn has an all brass tip. When the fail the will cause an erratic idle, poor fuel economy, hard starting and more.

Not very expensive, under $20.00 from saturn. Not much harder to install than a sparkplug either. Here is a link discussing it in depth.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/saturn-sc-1-1995-vt4925.html?highlight=wolfman

Good luck and let us know. :)
peppermrj

Vacuum Leak Test and Repair - All Cars
Clean Idle Air Control Ford Super Duty 5.4L
Easily Clean Your Throttle Bore Like a Pro