CAN'T SHIFT GEARS

2000 Saturn

richkscherr

January, 12, 2010 AT 2:09 AM

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2000 Other Saturn Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 130000 miles

I have a 2000 Saturn LS1. Up to now has run great. Lately having trouble shifting from a stop. Both from an initial start up and when stopping at a light. While driving it seems to shift ok. But when I first start it I can't shift out of 1st. I have been putting it in 2nd, start the car and drive. Once a little speed is built up it shifts ok. When I come to a stop sometimes it is hard to down shift. It is not constant. But seems to be more when the car is cold (1st thing in the morning). I took it in to a mechanic but of course he couldn't duplicate the problem. Any suggestions? Oh yeah I forgot. If the car is turned off. Shifts easily.

Docfixit

January, 12, 2010 AT 9:49 AM

How is REV same as 1st? What happens if put in 1st engine off start then drive off? Still hard to get out of 1st?

richkscherr

Yes, Rev is same as 1st. Or any gear as far as that goes. If car is off. I start in 1st. It is still hard to take out of gear. Need to be able to build a little speed before it gets easier to shift. (But at the same time it is not always like this).

Docfixit

January, 14, 2010 AT 8:25 AM

Think either clutch disc not disengaging completly or input shaft binding in pilot bearing. Drive up an incline shift into 4 at lower speed than normal does clutch slip ie. Engine revs

Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250