2000 Other Saturn Models can't shift gears

RICHKSCHERR
  • 2000 SATURN

Drive Train Axles Bearings problem
2000 Other Saturn Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 130000 miles

I have a 2000 Saturn LS1. Up to now has run great. Lately having trouble shifting from a stop. Both from an initial start up and when stopping at a light. While driving it seems to shift ok. But when I first start it I can't shift out of 1st. I have been putting it in 2nd, start the car and drive. Once a little speed is built up it shifts ok. When I come to a stop sometimes it is hard to down shift. It is not constant. But seems to be more when the car is cold (1st thing in the morning). I took it in to a mechanic but of course he couldn't duplicate the problem. Any suggestions? Oh yeah I forgot. If the car is turned off. Shifts easily.

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 2:09 AM

DOCFIXIT

How is REV same as 1st? What happens if put in 1st engine off start then drive off? Still hard to get out of 1st?

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 9:49 AM
RICHKSCHERR

Yes, Rev is same as 1st. Or any gear as far as that goes. If car is off. I start in 1st. It is still hard to take out of gear. Need to be able to build a little speed before it gets easier to shift. (But at the same time it is not always like this).

Tuesday, January 12th, 2010 AT 5:26 PM
DOCFIXIT

Think either clutch disc not disengaging completly or input shaft binding in pilot bearing. Drive up an incline shift into 4 at lower speed than normal does clutch slip ie. Engine revs

Thursday, January 14th, 2010 AT 8:25 AM