SC 78K MILES SHUTS COMPLETELY OFF, THEN BACK ON

1999 Saturn

etoast

February, 27, 2007 AT 2:54 PM

Hey there.
I have a Saturn SC 1999 with 78k miles on it. It has two problems:

1.) When it starts cold, it had a loud sound that countinues sporadically until it warms up. It sounds kind of like - 'VrrrEEEnnnEEnnnnEEnnnEE' (makes it sound like a toy car) and occurs as soon as the car is moving, most noticably when pressing on the gas but also occurs when its just coasting. It has recently gotten worse.

2.) The other day it died for a second then came right back on. The radio went off, all of the dials flickered down, and the fuel light went on (despite it having plenty of fuel, ) and then it all came right back on and the airbag light flashed. It did this 3 times before I got it home (in the span of 2 miles) and was hot off the highway. Its not a loose battery terminal or a blown fuse. Please help : (

Thanks - L

peppermrj

February, 27, 2007 AT 9:32 PM

1 sounds like a serpentine belt, pulley and or belt tensioner issue. Open the hood and listen. Which side is it coming from?

2 Intermittent electrical issues are a PITA. Could be a loose connection or an ignition switch going bad. Is it stiil doing it consistently?

Good hunting and let us know. : )

bdup73

March, 4, 2007 AT 11:51 PM

Did you car die out like that when you put the brakes on or anything? M7 1997 SW1 does the same thing sometimes when I put the brake on (because of the brake lights I am thinking) or when I turn the high beams on or off. I am just trying to get a handle on what it wrong or find someone who might have some insight or at least a similar problem. Thanks.

Battery Replacement Ford Escape 2000-2006
Battery Replacement Honda Civic 2006-2011
Battery Replacement
Battery Replacement Ford Contour 1996-2000
Battery Replacement Guide