2002 Saturn L300 hesitate?

NEWRED5
  • 2002 SATURN L300
Hello I have a 2003 Saturn LW300 V6 engine. It starts and drives great but when I am going say 50 or so miles per hour and I give it gas ( tromp on it ), they car attempts to stall out and act like it's dying. SOmetimes the check engine light flashes indicating a misfire. Any ideas? I pulled the plus and they are relativley new. Thanks
Friday, April 3rd, 2009 AT 8:09 PM

NEWRED5
Also when this backfire is happening, if I back off on the gas pedal, they car returns to normal.
Saturday, April 4th, 2009 AT 7:29 AM
JASONRAY
It sounds like it's 'leaning' out. Which means the fuel system can't keep up with the demands of the accelerator. I would check the fuel filter first if it's accessible. If not, the problem could be the fuel pump. We need to check fuel pressure but unless you have a fuel pressure guage, you'll probably need to take it to a shop. Don't let the fuel pressure alone confuse you. You can have the proper fuel 'pressure' but there is also a spec for fuel 'volume'. You have to have the correct 'amount' of fuel to the injectors under the correct amount of pressure for it to work right. Especially under hard acceleration. Either way, it sounds like a fuel problem based on the description.
Saturday, April 4th, 2009 AT 9:04 PM
NEWRED5
Thank you, that was my first thought. The car is at my friends house ( hes a backyard mechanic) and he;s checking it out 4 me. I will keep you uo todate
Saturday, April 4th, 2009 AT 10:10 PM
NEWRED5
Well, put a fuel filter on it and it does the same thing. When putting a load on the car it doesnt seem to down shift unless you back off the pedal. Thought it might be a slipping transmission so I went to a Honest local tranny place. They scanned it for codes and couldnt find any tranny codes. They went for a ride with me and watched the computer scanner while I drove it and made it act up. Again no codes to be found. He mentioned it seemed like maybe it was plugged convertor as it seem to act a bit that way( wouldnt a plugged convertor set of a check engine light?). When we got back he checked the engine for any stored codes and found 5
p0402- excessive EGR flow detected
p0300 Engine misfire detected
p302 cyl 2 misfire detected
p304 cyl 4 misfire detected
p306 cyl 6 misfire detected
No check engine light are on in the car even though it's now acting up . Any ideas?
Would you take it in and get an engine scan?
Would you wait for the cars drive cycle to see if the check engine light comes on again after it was cleared?

Monday, April 13th, 2009 AT 12:18 PM
NEWRED5
WHile driving the car the check engine light did come on today
Monday, April 13th, 2009 AT 6:08 PM
NEWRED5
It put out a code P0421- warm up Catalyst, lo wefficency. Any help here?
Tuesday, April 14th, 2009 AT 6:44 PM