Checking and adding transmission fluid

SHAUN320
  • 2004 SATURN ION

My car is a four cylinder, automatic with 97,151 miles. It does not have a transmission fluid dipstick for checking the fluid level. Is there a way to check for the fluid level, or maybe a fill plug somewhere? If so, where would I find either of these?

Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 2:34 PM

SATURNTECH9

There is a dipstick on that transmission it is between the radiator and transmission down low. it is yellow and held in with a 12 mm bolt.

Here is a guide and some diagram (below) that should help you get the job done:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/how-to-service-an-automatic-transmission

Please let us know what happens so it will help others.

Cheers, Ken

+23
Wednesday, October 20th, 2010 AT 4:25 PM
JMASATURN

Thank you so much. This was just what I was looking for thanks! I have been told that the transmission is sealed and they suggested I have it flushed. Is there some special way of doing this? Or even a way of checking fluid levels? The quotes I have gotten for a flush are very expensive.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 10:42 PM
SATURNTECH9

How many miles do you have on the car? You change the fluid every 50,000 miles. I would not flush it just have it changed. The fluid is expensive for that car and it also takes an additive with fluid which is also expensive. As far as checking the fluid, unless you have a leak and are loosing a good deal of fluid there really is no need for that. There is no dipstick, there is just a level hole and it is a little complicated to check the level.

+7
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:20 PM
JMASATURN

I just turned over 60,000 miles on it. I am not having any issues with it. For me, it is a really good car. No issues. I just put eight hundred miles on it this last week. Thanks for the advice. I will call around and check prices.

-1
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:29 PM
SATURNTECH9

If you have that mileage and it has never been changed then you need to change it. Also, make sure you take it somewhere that they know that the transmission is different from most transmissions and has a different changing and filling procedures. It is really important it is done right and with the correct fluid. I would get the fluid and the additive from the dealer.

Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:36 PM
JMASATURN

Thank you. I will.

+2
Wednesday, June 15th, 2011 AT 11:47 PM
SATURNTECH9

You are welcome, that is what we are here for.

+2
Thursday, June 16th, 2011 AT 1:24 AM