CHECKING/ADDING TRANSMISS FLUID

2004 Saturn Ion

shaun320

October, 20, 2010 AT 2:34 PM

2004 Saturn Ion 4 cyl Automatic 97151 miles

My 2004 Saturn Ion does not have a trans fluid dipstick when checking the fluid level. Is there a way to check for the fluid level, or maybe a fill plug somewhere? If so, where would I find either of these?

saturntech9

October, 20, 2010 AT 2:45 PM

Do you have the sedan or the quad coupe?Let me know so I can get you the correct info.

shaun320

October, 20, 2010 AT 2:48 PM

It's a 4 door sedan, automatic

saturntech9

October, 20, 2010 AT 4:25 PM

There is a dipstick on that transmission it's between the radiator and transmission down low it's yellow and held in with a 12mm bolt.

jmasaturn

June, 15, 2011 AT 10:42 PM

I have the quad coupe. I have been told that the transmission is sealed. But they suggest I have it flushed. Is there some special way of doing this? Or even a way of checking fluid levels? The quotes I have gotten for a flush are very expensive.

saturntech9

June, 15, 2011 AT 11:20 PM

How many miles do you have on the car?You change the fluid every 50,000 miles I wouldn't flush it just have it changed. The fluid is expensive for that car and it also takes a additive with fluid which is expensive also. As far as checking the fluid unless you have a leak and are loosing a good deal of fluid there really is no need for that. There is no dipstick there is just a level hole it's a little complicated to check the level also.

jmasaturn

June, 15, 2011 AT 11:29 PM

I just turned over 60,000 miles on it. I am not having any issues with it. For me, it's a really good car. No issues. Just put 800 miles on it this last week! Thanks for the advice.I will call around and check prices.

saturntech9

June, 15, 2011 AT 11:36 PM

If you have that mileage and its never been changed then you need to change it. Also make sure you take it somewhere that they know that transmission its different then most transmissions and has different changing and filling procedures. Its really important its done right and with the correct fluid.I would get the fluid and the additive from the dealer.

jmasaturn

June, 15, 2011 AT 11:47 PM

Thank you. I will.

saturntech9

June, 16, 2011 AT 1:24 AM

Your welcome thats what were here for.

Transmission Service Ford Super Duty F-250
Transmission Service Toyota Tacoma
Transmission Fluid Replacement Mercedes Benz
Transmission Drain and Refill Kia Sportage
Automatic Transmission Service
Transmission Mount Replacement - RWD Cars