EMERGENCY: Loose Transmission (?)

IAM93157
  • SAAB

1992 Saab 9000 Hatchback
167,000 Miles
Original manual 4.3 liter 4 cylinder engine

Hi,

My transmission is not working. I believe that my gears and clutch are fine, it's just that I can't access those gears. I found out that my gear stick is very loose, and that I can pretty much push it forward (3rd gear) and actually move the whole stick around 360 degrees. The only gears that I can access is 3rd and 4th. Even when I move the stick left and either up or down, it's still either 3rd or 4th gear. As for 5th and reverse, same thing. It feels like however I move the stick, the gear box (or what the stick is directly connected to) moves along with it.

By playing around, I eventually was able to test 1st and reverse, and when engage the car responded correctly. However my problem lies in engaging those gears.

Being as a college student, I have very limited options. My car is actually stuck at a windshield replacement center (just replaced rear windshield, and now this!), So I am able to jack up the car and access some tools. I'm just wondering if there is anything I can do myself to be able to drive out of the garage. I'm hoping it's just a matter or realigning and tightening some nuts, but hey I'm not the expert.

I really hope that I can 'fix' this with the advice here by Monday, so I appreciate any comments, and I thank you guys all in advance.

What should I do? :(

Friday, March 23rd, 2007 AT 9:25 PM

SERVICE WRITER

I'm not familiar with saab, but maybe the dealer can fax you an exploded view of the shifter and linkage to help narrow down the trouble.

Please consider a donation to help us answer more questions.
Saturday, March 24th, 2007 AT 7:35 AM
IAM93157

Thanks for the tip.

From what I'm reading I think my problem lies in something called a "manual shift joint."

I was only able to get a slight peek at some of the sides, but it seems fine. I don't think the rubber actually connects any parts, but rather just acts as a shock/vibration dampener.

I did notice that a clamp securing the rod going into the transmission was loose. Hopefully this the root of the problem. But getting to this nut itself is a difficult task. I can't really see part from crawling under the car, and I would have to find a way to get around/through the engine to reach it from the top.

I heard that one guy actually removed the driver side tire entirely and from there was able to reach the parts.

If I'm allowed, I could post the links for future reference. But as of now, I think I'm stuck. Even if I could reach the nut, I would have to make sure both sides are perfectly aligned when I tighten it. Else, I might even damage the transmission. YIKES

Saturday, March 24th, 2007 AT 9:45 AM