99' TURBO, HASNT BEEN STARTED IN 4 YEARS...

1999 SAAB

benwa

March, 24, 2007 AT 5:53 PM

Hello everybody.
i have recently inherited a 1999 Saab 9-3 turbo convertible, it was my brothers. He passed away in february 2002. The car has been under the " care" of my step-mother. The car has been garaged for 4 years, and during that time, the car has never been started (i know!) I have finally convinced her the car would be better served belonging to me.

so, what percautions do I need to take before driving it again. If I recharge the battery, and fire it up will I cause problems, secondary to the old oil, old gas? What about spark plugs, fuel injectors? The car is in cheyenne, wyoming, which means no saab dealership. So I was wondering if I should have it towed to a local mechanic, or is it safe to start it, and drive to the mechanic, and like I asked previously, what should I have done to it, so I dont cause any serious damage?

any and all advice is appreciated.
thank you
ben

Bruce Hunt

There is a switch in the console that the could be sticking and thus detective.

captain hank

February, 1, 2007 AT 2:28 AM

I think you have two problems and they may not be related. Your parking lites don't come on by themselves or when you shift into " park". You have to turn the lite switch on. The key should come out of the ignition lock whether the lites are on or off. That's why they make that annoying buzzer to remind us. Sounds as if you have a worn out ignition lock for one, and a bad combination lite switch. Replace them.

hughlo

August, 26, 2007 AT 8:32 PM

Chane oil first

RedAtom

August, 29, 2007 AT 10:30 PM

Have the car checked by a reputable mechanic. Since the car has been garaged for 4 years, I would imagine it will need a comprehensive tune up, oil & filter change, check the drive belt and hoses for leaks, new spark plug, tire check and etc. I don't think you need to take your car to a Saab dealership, but if you can find a good mechanic that is familiar with European cars and have experience working on Saab then you'll be ok. The other option is go to the saabnet. Com its a website for Saab owners, they provide very helpful advises.

Good luck with the Saab!